MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.56 average.
Old 2006-07-23, 12:24
New Blood

I can scream and growl like a pro now and even pig squeal. Sick.
Old 2006-07-28, 06:50
Metalhead

Send a message via MSN to I <3 SANDWICH
I do love brutal vocals
Old 2006-08-02, 23:12
New Blood

Hypocrisy The Eraser

This is my version of Hypocrisy's The Eraser...hmmm...feedback would be nice....hope you enjoy. Now go slaughter some infants.
Old 2006-08-03, 11:11
New Blood

My problem, which i was wonderin if any one could give me some advice on, is this :

My "scream" sounds pretty cool at low volume. Just slightly louder than a whisper. If i start trying to push it louder it just turns into a yell, which is really not what im going for. How can i maintain the sound of my scream but push the volume up to a decent level?
Old 2006-08-05, 03:30
Metalhead

I do the same thing so I just stick with Growling, im sure with pracitice youll get better tho, maybe try vocal lessons.
Old 2006-08-08, 16:42
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRO
First off,im new.

Second,Im looking to try to acheive a sort of Corpsegrinder voice,any advice?

Anyone? Not his EXACT voice but just straight up brutal.
I drink milk a lot but it dosnt really make a difference.

Last edited by ZRO : 2006-08-15 at 13:03.
Old 2006-08-18, 22:26
New Blood

i have a hard time screaming so i just started pushing my growl higher sort of in my throat... i heard thats really bad but ive had no problems or serious pain
Old 2006-08-25, 19:10
Metalhead

If you wana sound like Corpsegrinder go out and buy some Cannibal Corpse CDs, or download them, and just keep death grunting for as long as it takes untill you sound similar, probly about 4 months or so. Drink heeps of water and Recored yourself every now and then so you can pick up on your faults and correct them.
Old 2006-08-31, 00:56
New Blood

Exclamation

ok everybody. you are all gr8. thankyou for all the tips.
but i really need help with my situation. im trying out for a punk/hardcore band in less than one week. there are a few things im worried about for the try-outs
1. I usually need to sing about 5 songs be4 i can make a decent scream. that can be a problem for me right? I dont wan to take forever before i can do a good scream.
2. There's another scream i have..I can scream in a certain way that sounds so sic. but its quiet. i can't really call it a scream. i have never used a PA box or mic be4 for singing or screaming. so idk if this is valid for a scream.
3. everybody is talking about the diaphram. i know what you mean i know what the diaphram is. but i do not know what you mean by sing with that instread of yer throat. when i singt or scream. i tighten my abbs press my throat and breath deeply in betweenm every word possible. is this corrrect? or is it bad. it makes me nervous on how i should sing.
4. after about 3 swongs of screaming. i completely screw up my singing voice!! how can i fix this?!

please help me every1!!!!! i really wanna make this band!!
help me VERY soon!!!
Old 2006-09-03, 10:12
New Blood

Ah shucks, my problem is real weird, I can do really good bullfrog/guttural exhales (and crappy inhales, but they don't really interest me anyways) and every brutal DM fan i know says they're good, but I can't do regular growls. How do you guys do these? Everytime I try them they turn into half assed screams . (Oh and by the way, by regular growls I mean mostly suffocation style growls)
Old 2006-09-07, 08:19
New Blood

throat or no throat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice777
ok everybody. you are all gr8. thankyou for all the tips.
but i really need help with my situation. im trying out for a punk/hardcore band in less than one week. there are a few things im worried about for the try-outs
1. I usually need to sing about 5 songs be4 i can make a decent scream. that can be a problem for me right? I dont wan to take forever before i can do a good scream.
2. There's another scream i have..I can scream in a certain way that sounds so sic. but its quiet. i can't really call it a scream. i have never used a PA box or mic be4 for singing or screaming. so idk if this is valid for a scream.
3. everybody is talking about the diaphram. i know what you mean i know what the diaphram is. but i do not know what you mean by sing with that instread of yer throat. when i singt or scream. i tighten my abbs press my throat and breath deeply in betweenm every word possible. is this corrrect? or is it bad. it makes me nervous on how i should sing.
4. after about 3 swongs of screaming. i completely screw up my singing voice!! how can i fix this?!

please help me every1!!!!! i really wanna make this band!!
help me VERY soon!!!

Sorry this is late, but if you haven't head of MELSSA CROSS, then you're in for a treat visit http://melissacross.com/home.php? Her DVD, vocal instruction for a new breed is amazing. You should NOT scream from your throat. I know it sounds good for a while, but it's brutal, and this is why it only lasts so long. eventually your vocal chords tear and rip and swell, this is why it's so bad. really, you need to be pushing up by flexing your abs, and opening up your throat. Imagine your scream is a marble rolling along the back of your esophogus, and eventually through the nasal passage. this will engage your FALSE chords and takes some time to learn, but will definately save you in the end. hope this helps, and you read this
Old 2006-09-07, 08:19
New Blood

p.s. how'd the tryouts go?
Old 2006-09-09, 17:34
New Blood

well actually the try outs were delayed for one week so its good that i get more practice. but every1 one was busy so we couldn't do anything.

here's another question i can hopefully get answered.
i know exactly how to push and tighten my abs for to sing gr8 with my diaphram. but how would i scream like that? the way i scream its to push my diaphram but also use my throat so give it the scratchiness. how do i push my diaphram without using the throat for screaming? if i dont use my throat it'll jut be yelling. i want to scream not yell.

is it something to do with a mic or what?
Old 2006-09-10, 08:30
New Blood

I don't know much about mics and live sound, but essentially you want to obtain the "scratchiness" by shape. like when a balloon's air is let out and you streach the opening, it gets the sound you want to obtain with your voice, so yes your throat needs to shape the sound, but using your false cords and you need to try to force the sound out through your nasal passage. Now I know that's not literally possible, but it's the analogy we're going for. by trying this, it uses the top part of your throat (where your false chords are) Also, it depends on how important this is to you, but if you want advice from the person who taught Slipknot, Underoath, Lamb of God, God Forbid, From Autumn to Ashes and TONS MORE, all you need to do is email them at this link https://www.melissacross.com/crossEmailEval.php and with a fee (i don't know how much it costs), but she'll get back to you 48 hours. and yes, the person is a Woman. there's also a phoneline, where you can talk to Melissa and you need a credit card for that, and the phone # is: 212-736-3789.........good luck
Old 2006-09-10, 13:44
New Blood

thanks a lot man. for all the tips and shit.

but one problem is that im kinda young and i dont have a credit card or any options to buy anything on the internet. which is basically why im on the forum for this site.
is age havin anything to do with it? im in my mid-teen years. and i dont know if my voice wiill get deeper by like ago 18 to 25 so it can screa better. most people that are in the screaming type bands are those age. so im just kinda with no clues on how to improve my voice without hurting it. and i want to be able to scream like early avenged sevenfold and from autumn to ashes.
but anyways thanks for all teh help.

when i ge tthe try-outs done ill post how they went
Old 2006-09-10, 15:42
New Blood

Okay, Im 17, and my voice isn't very low either, even funnier, my brother is 15, and can imitate Lamb Of God Vocals. Don't worry about your voice as it is. Just don't scream in a way that it hurts. I'll try to explain this weird way of screaming and it may be hard, but here goes. First, to try to get the scream out of your nasal passage try barring your teeth as a dog would when he's about to bite you. expose your upper teeth, and you nose should naturally scrunch up. in this position force air out through your mouth and nose using your diaphram. Also, keep your tongue flat in your mouth with the tip against the inside of your bottom teeth, This is (about) supposed to be how you begin using your "false chords", See how this feels. Just try to imagine a "nasal sound" and try to imitate Marge Simpson's voice. I'm not kidding, and Even if you eventually want a more gutteral sound, this is how you have to start so you don't hurt your self, cuz a band won't want a vocalist who only has 3 or 4 songs in he/she. Now try huming with your mouth closed and try to do it as loud as you can. Can you get the buzzing to vibrate within your head? Do your ears itch? If So, you're figuring it out. Now incorporate this buzzing sensation into the Marge voice through your nose. With the two, essentially You should be able to scream safely and at any volume for as long as you want. Keep at it, It isn't easy, but I guarentee it, any vocalist who wants to scream AND sing, this is how they do it. If you'll never sing, or want to sing in your career, then by all means do what's right for you? still have questions?, keep typing I'll try to help
Old 2006-09-17, 14:15
New Blood

Marge

How do you go from the marge simpson voice to the scream? I bought the zen of screming but i thought she was really vauge when it came to screaming. I cant figure out how to go from the marge simpson voice to a scream
Old 2006-09-18, 16:43
New Blood

Okay, I see what you mean, she is pretty vague there. umm. THe marge simpson voice is just to engage the false chords and get away from using your throat without destroying it. You keep forcing the air out in the same way, but reall push with the diaphram and force a bit harder. Keep trying to tweak what you're doing and keep your throat in the same position as to not kill it. (there is a follow up cd on heat/fire I have yet to buy, cuz I'm curious) if you happen or anyone for that matter happens to get it, let me know how it is.
Old 2006-09-18, 18:58
New Blood

hey i went to the try outs on saturda and i was so fucking nervous OMG!!!
i sang and i thought i sounded really shaky and weirdf.
but they seemed to really like it. ive talked to them and they seem to really want me, so im really happy about that. they just want to hear if i sound any good recorded and stuff like that.
so ya thanks for the tips and everything!!
but i could really still improve. so if there's anyone experienced that has some good advice i would really appreciate it.
Old 2006-09-18, 19:59
New Blood

sweet man, good job, good luck!
let me know if or when you guys record anything