Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Metal > Bands
User Name
Password

Old 2004-06-20, 00:46
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to Dystopia
"Blah blah they're better than you!"

Earlier today I said the Sex Pistols sucked, and my friend shit himself and was like "They're better than you at their instruments you fuckhead! Have some respect!" And I kept saying "I don't give a shit" and he's just all "Exactly! It's people like you that have ruined the music industry!"

Honestly, I think anyone that's open minded enough can listen to music and decide if it sucks or not. I guess everyone is better than me, since I have been playing drums and guitar for less than a year(I play them both equally), but that doesn't stop other bands from sucking, does it? Your opinions?
Old 2004-06-20, 00:53
Post-whore

Well you can't like every single band out there. Nobody has the exact same musical tastes. You have the right not to like them. The consumer doesnt just like music because its better than what they can do
Old 2004-06-20, 00:56
Pirate Lawd

Sure, they may play better than you for now, but the bottom line is the Sex Pistols smoke pole imo
Old 2004-06-20, 01:00
Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to fritz
I heard they sucked live.
Old 2004-06-20, 01:01
Post-whore

Haha, yes but does that mean you're one of those people that "helped destroy the music industry"? According to someone who likes Sex Pistols it does.
Old 2004-06-20, 01:11
Pirate Lawd

To hell with the music industry, it's doing just fine. I believe that poeple blame the term "music industry" to hide the fact they suck. If you like something or not, it should only matter to you.
Old 2004-06-20, 01:16
Post-whore

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 2004-06-20, 03:38
Legio Draconorum Orkian

Send a message via AIM to timedragon Send a message via MSN to timedragon
yeah, and all i have to add is that they arnt that good because it really doesnt take that much skill to play the style they play anyway. Its really quite simple to play something much better than them, and i think they suck anyway. i dont care if they are original or at the top of thier scene, I dont like their scene and i dont like them. Keep playing guitar for a few more months and you can probably play whatever crap they dish out in your sleep.
Old 2004-06-20, 04:32
Life is pain.
Banned

its people that might hate a band but show them respect anyway that are losers. like some guy i know hates metallica's music, but if i said "i hate metallica because their music isnt even heavy, and they suck in general" he would have said "oh fuck off they ruled, i dont even listen to them but i know they ruled, because they were metal kings"

i pay no respect to ozzy, black sab, metallica, kiss, any of those fucking bands, i hated their music and it isnt fucking heavy, and it never was.

but if i said that to some guy who's a satanist and listens to death metal and crap, or a goth who listens to cradle of filth, they'll still say, fuck off they ruled.

whar im saying is people respect bands they dont even listen to or know shit about just because they started something. people say that if it wasnt for ozzy, we wouldnt have any metal altogether. as if noone in the fucking planet in the entire history of it would never ever concieve music like thet if ozzy wasnt here.
Old 2004-06-20, 07:47
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Send a message via MSN to johnmansley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity
i pay no respect to ozzy, black sab, metallica, kiss, any of those fucking bands, i hated their music and it isnt fucking heavy, and it never was.

They mightn't be considered heavy in terms of today's bands but back in 1969 Black Sabbath were the heaviest band around. This fact is inescapable, as is the fact that Sabbath are one of the most influential bands to have ever existed. The types of song structure, lyrics and riffs that permeated their music are still prevailent in modern metal so I personally respect them immensely for helping to shape the music that I listen to today.

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn
Old 2004-06-20, 08:14
Life is pain.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
They mightn't be considered heavy in terms of today's bands but back in 1969 Black Sabbath were the heaviest band around. This fact is inescapable, as is the fact that Sabbath are one of the most influential bands to have ever existed. The types of song structure, lyrics and riffs that permeated their music are still prevailent in modern metal so I personally respect them immensely for helping to shape the music that I listen to today.

There you go, another perfect example of what i am against.
no disrespect to you or anything, but what you say there is exactly what i posted against.
Old 2004-06-20, 08:30
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Quote:
There you go, another perfect example of what i am against.
no disrespect to you or anything, but what you say there is exactly what i posted against.

Why are you against the history and origins of metal music? Allow me to draw an analogy: your hatred (if that isn't too strong a word) is akin to not respecting your favourite sporting team's past history just because the current team would beat them - not through skill but by a vastly improved fitness regime. The comparison comes into play by way of modern metal being based on Sabbath's ideas but being more 'muscular' in its construction.

Can you see what I'm getting at? You like heavy music but your don't want to acknowledge were it came from. I'm not saying that you have to like Sabbath or any of the bands you mention but surely you can see that they were influential and deserve respect?

Old 2004-06-20, 08:41
Life is pain.
Banned

aha, you have misunderstood.
i am not against the history of metal, and definately acknowledge from where it came from, [if i didnt know where it came from how could i be for or against this subject?]
i am against people who might hate a band but still stand up for lets say sabath if i tell them that lets say hate eternal crushes them in every way possible. it would be a metal discussion - Hey, you know that band? yeah i know them - but do you know this band? therye the heaviest thing in existence, theyre called black sabbath.

they just arent heavy anymore, and the fact is the hate eternal is just a better band [well better musicians anyway, depending on whther you like the music or not]. but ppl will go ou of their way to disprove it.

or these die hard old skool metal guys that say that lets say kiss is the best band in the world, when they just.... arent
Old 2004-06-20, 08:55
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

I understand fully what you intended:

Quote:
its people that might hate a band but show them respect anyway that are losers.

There's nothing wrong in showing respect to a band that you hate - in fact I'd say it's a sensible and grown up trait to possess. For example, being a Liverpool fan, I absolutely hate Manchester United and everything to do with the club - I can't stress enough how much I despise them - but I can still realise that they are a great team and show them due respect. I don't think affording respect should depend entirely on whether you like someone or something.

I don't particularly like Black Metal, but I still respect BM bands as musicians. I also don't like Steve Vai's music, but that doesn't stop me from respecting him as an amazing guitarist and I'm not going to say "he's shit" just because I don't like his music.

Old 2004-06-20, 09:14
HES BAAACK

no way in hell am i reading this entire thread. but, allow me to post my opinion

all metal > any punk
Old 2004-06-20, 09:28
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient

all metal > any punk

amen, brother.
Old 2004-06-20, 15:01
Wasted Custom User title

Send a message via AIM to DeathCS Send a message via MSN to DeathCS
You dont have to like a band to respect them.
Old 2004-06-20, 19:30
HES BAAACK

i have no respect for punk either. bunch of watered down liberal weenie nonsense from ugly teenagers with shitty attitudes
Old 2004-06-20, 19:59
Lo, they do call to me...

Send a message via AIM to MoonRaven Send a message via MSN to MoonRaven Send a message via Yahoo to MoonRaven
why havent you died yet, mtv
Old 2004-06-20, 20:14
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonRaven
why havent you died yet, mtv

Now don't tell me you like the Sex Pistols too!