MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2004-06-06, 19:03
Prince Charming
Metalhead

Marshalls combo, Engl savage, Tube screamer

I went into a guitar shop the other day to look for an Engl savage 120 and as i was looking this guy started playing what looked like a PRS custom 24...
I just couldn't believe what i heard, the amp screamed with aggresion and rage, yet it was at practise volume.
At that point i assumed he was playing a tube amp, but when i looked over he appeared to be playing the prs through a marshall combo.

To the point: I play a jacksons warrior ( EMG 81/85) through a Marshalls AVT 275, and as stated earlier i was going to get an Engl savage (my first tube amp) but now i've heard someone play through a combo and sound good, it's had me wondering if it's my guitar which lacks tone, and not the amp.

Can anyone help me out here?

And also i done some research and the Pod XT came up, and it mentioned an on board effect reffered to as "tube Screamer", i just wondered if this was what the guy was using to get the amp to sound like that, does anyone know what the effect is?

Old 2004-06-06, 19:15
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

the tube screamer on the XT sounds shit IMO, I don't think he was using that, must have been the PRS, a good guitar sounds good though reasonable amps

ofcourse, if you have EMG's you'll only have 'one' standard tone, you either like it or you don't, but thats what I don't really like about EMG's, if you want a barroom brawler, an LP with EMG's is as brutal as you can get though. if you want tone... mm, something else.

ofcourse, a PRS is fucking expensive and they do have the tendency to sound better compared to cheap guitars, so I'm wondering what kinda series Jackson you have!

and d'uh the engl sounds about ten times better then an AVT

Old 2004-06-06, 20:02
Prince Charming
Metalhead

My jackson is a WRMG warrior, it cost £700 with shitty stock EMG HZ pickups not what i consider cheap though

To be honest though, i can't imagine it being the guitar, it was too big a diffrence in tone and sound, it had to be some kind of effect.
It's what i imagined a tube amp would sound like, being unfortunet not to have already played one before.

Old 2004-06-06, 20:07
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

well, go out and try everything you can get your hands on!

well, not to be harsh, but a WRMG Warrior isn't exactly a superb guitar compared to a Piece of Rotting Shit. (PRS) though it shouldn't sound 'bad' or anything. maybe there's just something you're overlooking. (or maybe the guy had his PRS hooked up to the Engl anyways )

Old 2004-06-06, 20:17
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

a tube screamer(overdrive pedal) may or may not help your sound, seeing as you are using a valve amp... and from my experience tube screamer pedal + s.s. amp = mud.
if you were using an all tube amp and you wanted more gain out of it then a tube screamer would work great.... it just helps drive the amp harder. but if you got the engl you wouldn't need a tube screamer because they are loaded with gain. it's more for amps like old marhshall jmp's, jtm's, and jcm 800's & 900's. they're commenly used with one channel heads like the sovtek mig series amps to get a wider range of tones.

in your situation i'd say go engl.

Old 2004-06-06, 20:49
Prince Charming
Metalhead

Quote:
well, not to be harsh, but a WRMG Warrior isn't exactly a superb guitar compared to a Piece of Rotting Shit.

EEK!
I love my warrior, i've played guitars that cost loads more than my jackson warrior and it's just as good as them if not better, i'm assuming you've only played a warrior with EMG HZ's, it's the only way that comment could be justified...

Anyway, do tube amps have tone like what i described, you must have started of with a combo thus you being able to tell me what sort of difference in sound and tone i'd get by getting the savage 120 over my avt.

Last edited by Prince Charming : 2004-06-06 at 20:53.

Old 2004-06-06, 21:01
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

its a completely different world, we can't tell you, just go and play the Engl and find out for yourself

I've played some warriors, didn't really like their construction and feel, though I did like the american select Dinky/RR's. but on the cheaper Jacksons the hardware isn't really that happening either.
the EMG-hz's suck dick, I didn't even take that into account really, because I played one with an 81 setup, guess warriors don't really appeal to me, whilst Dinky's and RR's do!

Old 2004-06-06, 21:01
Prince Charming
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdislexicx
a tube screamer(overdrive pedal) may or may not help your sound, seeing as you are using a valve amp... and from my experience tube screamer pedal + s.s. amp = mud.
if you were using an all tube amp and you wanted more gain out of it then a tube screamer would work great.... it just helps drive the amp harder. but if you got the engl you wouldn't need a tube screamer because they are loaded with gain. it's more for amps like old marhshall jmp's, jtm's, and jcm 800's & 900's. they're commenly used with one channel heads like the sovtek mig series amps to get a wider range of tones.

in your situation i'd say go engl.

Yeah i think i'm going to go with the Engl, it's just getting it that worries me.

Here's a link that shows how the guy in the guitar shop sounded Guitar shop guy (go to sound bytes)

Will the Engl sound that good?

Old 2004-06-06, 21:05
Prince Charming
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
its a completely different world, we can't tell you, just go and play the Engl and find out for yourself

I've played some warriors, didn't really like their construction and feel, though I did like the american select Dinky/RR's. but on the cheaper Jacksons the hardware isn't really that happening either.
the EMG-hz's suck dick, I didn't even take that into account really, because I played one with an 81 setup, guess warriors don't really appeal to me, whilst Dinky's and RR's do!

The thing i like about the warrior is the shape, it's looks great and it's comfortable to play, i love the neck too, it makes it easy to play fast, i guess it's all down to a matter of oppinion though.

Old 2004-06-06, 21:47
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charming
Yeah i think i'm going to go with the Engl, it's just getting it that worries me.

Here's a link that shows how the guy in the guitar shop sounded Guitar shop guy (go to sound bytes)

Will the Engl sound that good?

much better then that tubescreamer!!!!

and yea, when it comes down to guitars its all a matter of opinion and what you're used too, a lot of people dont like ultra slim necks, but I love Wizzard I's!

Old 2004-06-06, 22:08
Prince Charming
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
much better then that tubescreamer!!!!

and yea, when it comes down to guitars its all a matter of opinion and what you're used too, a lot of people dont like ultra slim necks, but I love Wizzard I's!

Can't wait to get it if it sounds better than that

And yeah, the wizzard I's are amazing necks, i would get an Ibanez just for the wizzard neck alone, i think the neck on my jackson's just about the same though.

Old 2004-06-07, 09:52
Exodus666
Supreme Metalhead

www.rocksolidamps.com

for tons of ENGL samples (especially deathmetal with the Savage, scroll somewhere in the middle I think)

Mind you, the Powerball is great too.

www.mahlstrom.be, check the song in audio section to hear what it sounds like.

Last edited by Exodus666 : 2004-06-07 at 09:54.

Old 2004-08-07, 15:50
skcoffan
Metalhead
Banned

are the engl heads under 1k good

Old 2004-08-07, 15:55
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

the powerball and savage are both well over 1000 here, about 13-1400. but you could get a used poweball for 1000 bucks...

Fireballs (60w powerball style) are just around 900-1000 here and are awsome too, just a tad less power compared to the powerball, not that you'de need it but hey.

any Engl sounds great actually, even the 50w tube heads like the Screamer 50, small but oh so loud. and those go for a lot cheaper.

I'de prolly take my 1000 bucks and buy a used savage, but if you want new stuff, the fireball is a great option.

Old 2004-08-07, 16:02
skcoffan
Metalhead
Banned

do u think they wud be good 4 black metal,super hevy black metal?

Old 2004-08-07, 16:06
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

extremely good

maybe try and listen to those links posted by exodus? or find a shop that sells them and find out for yourself, I have an engl preamp too and I really love the distortion.

Old 2004-08-07, 16:20
skcoffan
Metalhead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
extremely good

maybe try and listen to those links posted by exodus? or find a shop that sells them and find out for yourself, I have an engl preamp too and I really love the distortion.

so i should go with the fireball?
and should i get 1 of thier cabs or a different cheaper cabs cuz i really cant spend more than 1500$ but i want a stack

Old 2004-08-07, 20:07
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcoffan
so i should go with the fireball?
and should i get 1 of thier cabs or a different cheaper cabs cuz i really cant spend more than 1500$ but i want a stack

if you can get an engl halfstack for $1500 new or used, i'd say go for it.

Old 2004-08-07, 20:11
skcoffan
Metalhead
Banned

im gonna get the 2x 12 standard cab with the fireball

Old 2004-08-07, 20:15
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

I wouldn't do that... the 4x12's sound way, way better...

just my opinion though, if you aint got the money for a new cab, buy a used one, theres plenty around and nothing can really break from a cab, I'm using a 10 year old marshall 1960B cab for my rack and it still sounds ace

Old 2004-08-07, 20:50
skcoffan
Metalhead
Banned

ok,so any cab will work if the ohms and watts match

Old 2004-08-07, 21:02
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
ok,so any cab will work if the ohms and watts match

technically yes.....

you want the ohms to match... the wattage isnt as big of a deal... if you underpower your cab, no worries. over powering your cabs is what you have to be careful of.
so any cab should work... but no garauntees they will all sound good.

Old 2004-08-07, 21:10
skcoffan
Metalhead
Banned

like the fireball 60 is 60 watts so 100 watts is a fine cab

Old 2004-08-07, 23:05
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
like the fireball 60 is 60 watts so 100 watts is a fine cab

should be

Old 2004-08-08, 01:38
skcoffan
Metalhead
Banned

so i would probably want the matching amp 4 a good sound

Old 2004-08-08, 04:25
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

not necisarrily.... alot of people mismatch gear..... it gives more unique tone... marshall head + mesa cab will sound different than marshall head + marshall cab. maybe better to some..... personal taste.... some like the look of matching setups..

Old 2004-08-08, 09:31
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

most people that like the look of matching setups don't have a fucking clue what they are buying, I know some good examples from a few friends.

anyways, its not allways bad, but seriously, if you can get a peavey or marshall cab used for the same price, its just no competition for me, I don't like 5150 cabs much because of their mids, but other people may love them, its just up to what you like.
And Mesa cabs, well, they're pretty much identical to the 1960's tone but a little more punchy and a bit deeper..
Engl cabs are good too, but the ones with the v30's sound way better then the v60 cabs, kinda why I bought a marshall cab instead, could get one at the same price of an engl with v60's.

Old 2004-08-08, 14:58
dimmudude
New Blood
Banned

ok so i should probably get a marshall cab
BTW its skoffan
i use alot of palm muting so i need bass

Last edited by dimmudude : 2004-08-08 at 15:07.

Old 2004-08-08, 15:05
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

what the fuck? I was talking about cabs son...

Old 2004-08-08, 15:12
dimmudude
New Blood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
what the fuck? I was talking about cabs son...

oops i edited it so can we go on

Old 2004-08-08, 18:07
dimmudude
New Blood
Banned

omfg,ijust got a pretty good sound out of my line 6 spider 2 so it will do for now cuz my dad wont let me get a new amp 4 like a year cuz i just got this 1 4 my b-day on may 3

Old 2004-08-08, 18:42
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

dude how old are you, twelve? please stop wasting our time here, the only thing you do is spam?

Old 2004-08-08, 19:45
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimmudude
omfg,ijust got a pretty good sound out of my line 6 spider 2 so it will do for now cuz my dad wont let me get a new amp 4 like a year cuz i just got this 1 4 my b-day on may 3

roflmao!!!!!!!!!!!
you've been bugging the shit out of all of us for the past couple days... then you change your name from skcoffan to dimmudude like it's going to hide your ignorance..... and now.... now you're saying you like your line 6 and daddy wont buy you a new amp?!?!
omfg!
what a waste....

Old 2004-08-08, 19:51
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

yeah, notice the signature, lol...

Old 2004-08-08, 20:03
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

man..... pathetic.... really.... he comes on here knocking tubes amps and saying one burnt down his house, then when asked which one he named a s.s. amp.... and he said that was his friend but it wasnt.... he was just covering his own ass..... then he posts in every off topic forum he see's asking about which tube amp is the best for $1000..... then he starts making claims on the best peices of gear like he knows what he's talking about..... and starts knocking s.s. like a bitch and saying tubes are the shit, like he's knows jack shit...... he changes his name but makes it obvious that it's still him.... ect.....
omfg, what a loser.

Old 2004-08-08, 20:07
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

*hovers finger above ban button*

naaah not just yet

Old 2004-08-08, 20:16
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def

naaah not just yet

your keyboard has a ban button??? man.... i must be behind the times

Old 2004-08-08, 21:22
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def

naaah not just yet

*Smacks Def's hand, thus making his finger "accidently" hit the ban button*

"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2004-08-09, 00:16
dimmudude
New Blood
Banned

dude im srry but its the best sound i can get from the amp i hav 2 keep 4 a year
and im 14 just 2 let u kno
and i hate the amp but i got the best sound i can out of it

Old 2004-08-09, 00:20
dimmudude
New Blood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdislexicx
man..... pathetic.... really.... he comes on here knocking tubes amps and saying one burnt down his house, then when asked which one he named a s.s. amp.... and he said that was his friend but it wasnt.... he was just covering his own ass..... then he posts in every off topic forum he see's asking about which tube amp is the best for $1000..... then he starts making claims on the best peices of gear like he knows what he's talking about..... and starts knocking s.s. like a bitch and saying tubes are the shit, like he's knows jack shit...... he changes his name but makes it obvious that it's still him.... ect.....
omfg, what a loser.

dude i hate ss amps and i wasnt covering myself it really was my friends so shove it,shitface
and i dont care if u ban me cuz this ws is fucking pathetic with losers who hate me cuz i got a alrite sound out of a ss amp so fuck off u dumbass losers

Old 2004-08-09, 14:38
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

Grow up and get a oppinion for yourself.

And while your at it, learn how to propperly spell you moron!

P.S. Before I forget, CUNT!
Originally Posted by Requiem
Why would you sig that?
Why not? Why would you sig me saying that I hate you? I was serious there, too.

I'm in despair! The internet has left me in despair!

Old 2004-08-09, 14:45
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimmudude
dude i hate ss amps and i wasnt covering myself it really was my friends so shove it,shitface
and i dont care if u ban me cuz this ws is fucking pathetic with losers who hate me cuz i got a alrite sound out of a ss amp so fuck off u dumbass losers

you're banned, forever. both accounts.