MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us


Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording
User Name
Password


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average.
  #701  
Old 2007-02-03, 09:54
aslkvbiwbegv aslkvbiwbegv is offline
Metalhead
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 74
89/SA/89

I am building a guitar and was thinking about putting two 89's and and SA. The idea is two be able to switch between the 3 singles(with a 5-way switch) and 2 humbuckers(with a 3-way one).

Is this even possible? How good are 89s for metal(Opeth/Arch Enemy/Dark Tranquillity/Iron Maiden/Symphony X)?

The guitar is going to be black walnut(natural oil finish) with slightly modified strat-shaped body and neck with piezos(fuck yeah!) in the bridge.
Reply With Quote
  #702  
Old 2007-02-03, 20:52
*insert name here*'s Avatar
*insert name here* *insert name here* is offline
Jono
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,761
Send a message via MSN to *insert name here*
Dude, almost anything is possible with pickup wiring. BUT, its not all easy or simple. You need to work on some wiring diagrams, and see if what you want will work, and wont be too hard to do.
EMG's are fine for metal btw.
Reply With Quote
  #703  
Old 2007-02-04, 19:36
aslkvbiwbegv aslkvbiwbegv is offline
Metalhead
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by *insert name here*
EMG's are fine for metal btw.


Yeah, but the 89 specifically. Has anyone here heard one. I know it's supposed to sound "similar" to the 85, but how similar is it?
Reply With Quote
  #704  
Old 2007-02-04, 20:21
the_bleeding's Avatar
the_bleeding the_bleeding is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,816
Send a message via MSN to the_bleeding
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslkvbiwbegv
Yeah, but the 89 specifically. Has anyone here heard one. I know it's supposed to sound "similar" to the 85, but how similar is it?

if its like the 85, it will be muddy as shit hahaha
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahmers Fridge
In the US "fanny" is a word used to describe the ass or butt. Here in the UK "fanny" is a lady garden (vagina)
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!
Reply With Quote
  #705  
Old 2007-02-04, 20:57
Valtiel's Avatar
Valtiel Valtiel is offline
Supreme Metalhead
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: West Coast
Posts: 839
Send a message via AIM to Valtiel Send a message via MSN to Valtiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslkvbiwbegv
I am building a guitar and was thinking about putting two 89's and and SA. The idea is two be able to switch between the 3 singles(with a 5-way switch) and 2 humbuckers(with a 3-way one).

Is this even possible? How good are 89s for metal(Opeth/Arch Enemy/Dark Tranquillity/Iron Maiden/Symphony X)?

The guitar is going to be black walnut(natural oil finish) with slightly modified strat-shaped body and neck with piezos(fuck yeah!) in the bridge.


If the guitar is made of walnut, for the love of god do not put EMG's in it. Walnut is a really nice tonewood, you want something that will take advantage of that.
__________________
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut
Reply With Quote
  #706  
Old 2007-02-04, 23:12
aslkvbiwbegv aslkvbiwbegv is offline
Metalhead
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 74
other pickups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtiel
If the guitar is made of walnut, for the love of god do not put EMG's in it. Walnut is a really nice tonewood, you want something that will take advantage of that.


I like EMGs, but I'm definitely open to suggestions. It's gotta be two humbuckers that can do coil-tap and a single.
Reply With Quote
  #707  
Old 2007-02-05, 06:03
aslkvbiwbegv aslkvbiwbegv is offline
Metalhead
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 74
In fact, it doesn't have to be a coil tap. I just want a good clean(blues/maybe some jazz) to go with my badass distortion.

The more I look into EMGs the more problems I have with them. For example, I want to run the output of the piezos into a different(accoustic) amp through a stereo jack, but The emgs need the stereo jack to tell if the cable is plugged in.

Also, the 85 would not be my first choice with EMG. I would brobably go with 81/81 or 81/60 if I wasn't going to play any clean stuff. And the 89 probably sounds at least a little worse than the 85 (or they would just make the 85 with the same magnets/coils as the 89).

So what do I want here? Seymour Duncan?
Reply With Quote
  #708  
Old 2007-02-05, 06:59
aslkvbiwbegv aslkvbiwbegv is offline
Metalhead
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 74
Seymour Duncans

How about the SH-4 jb and the SH-2 jazz? Maybe a single or a stacked humbucker in between? What do you think?
Reply With Quote
  #709  
Old 2007-02-05, 15:30
4d5e6f's Avatar
4d5e6f 4d5e6f is offline
Supreme Metalhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 503
Send a message via AIM to 4d5e6f
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslkvbiwbegv
In fact, it doesn't have to be a coil tap. I just want a good clean(blues/maybe some jazz) to go with my badass distortion.

The more I look into EMGs the more problems I have with them. For example, I want to run the output of the piezos into a different(accoustic) amp through a stereo jack, but The emgs need the stereo jack to tell if the cable is plugged in.

Also, the 85 would not be my first choice with EMG. I would brobably go with 81/81 or 81/60 if I wasn't going to play any clean stuff. And the 89 probably sounds at least a little worse than the 85 (or they would just make the 85 with the same magnets/coils as the 89).

So what do I want here? Seymour Duncan?

Sounds like you should check out the DiMarzio ToneZone, it's supposed to have great cleans and distortion, with great picking dynamics.
Reply With Quote
  #710  
Old 2007-02-05, 15:36
Valtiel's Avatar
Valtiel Valtiel is offline
Supreme Metalhead
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: West Coast
Posts: 839
Send a message via AIM to Valtiel Send a message via MSN to Valtiel
If you are willing to spend some cash, bare knuckle pickups are pretty much the best. I think a Seymour Duncan JB might be a little bright in a walnut bodied guitar. I think a Tone Zone would work very well.
__________________
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut
Reply With Quote
  #711  
Old 2007-02-05, 20:45
aslkvbiwbegv aslkvbiwbegv is offline
Metalhead
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 74
Tonezone

The ToneZone Sounds cool, I'll have to try one. Dynamics are very cool, however, I pick very lightly on fast stuff. Do you think that would be a problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtiel
I think a Seymour Duncan JB might be a little bright in a walnut bodied guitar.


Walnut isn't all that bright is it? I mean, it's on the brighter side, but it's not like it's maple or anything.

Also, does this mean you think the SD jazz would be cool?
Reply With Quote
  #712  
Old 2007-02-05, 21:25
aslkvbiwbegv aslkvbiwbegv is offline
Metalhead
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 74
middle single

Let's say that I get the jazz and the toneZone. What would be a single coil in between (both of those 'buckers are coil-spitable)
Reply With Quote
  #713  
Old 2007-02-05, 22:07
Valtiel's Avatar
Valtiel Valtiel is offline
Supreme Metalhead
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: West Coast
Posts: 839
Send a message via AIM to Valtiel Send a message via MSN to Valtiel
Walnut is actually very similar to maple tonally, just richer and more balanced. Tone Zone and Jazz would be good, as long as you dont mind conflicting pickup aesthetics.

For single coils, if you are going SD I would choose something hotter like the SSL-3. For Dimarzios, maybe something like the Cruiser, although id recommend Duncan single coils over Dimarzios anyday.
__________________
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut
Reply With Quote
  #714  
Old 2007-02-06, 18:40
aslkvbiwbegv aslkvbiwbegv is offline
Metalhead
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 74
Ok, this combination (jazz/ssl-3/toneZone) sounds pretty good from the descriptions and sound samples on the manufacturers websites. But I really need to try them out a Guitar Center or somewhere.

How do I know if the single coil that is accessed by coil-splitting the ToneZone and the Jazz are any good, And how do I know if they will go well with the ssl3?

Also, should this be moved to the normal pickups thread, since I'm not going to use EMGs?
Reply With Quote
  #715  
Old 2007-02-07, 19:40
aslkvbiwbegv aslkvbiwbegv is offline
Metalhead
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 74
diagrams

http://www.seymourduncan.com/suppor...w_pushpull.html

I think that this is supposed to coil-split both humbuckrers with one push-pull pot. Am I right?
Reply With Quote
  #716  
Old 2007-02-12, 22:40
TangledMortalCoil's Avatar
TangledMortalCoil TangledMortalCoil is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NoVA
Posts: 300
from passive EMG to active EMG

i've got a Jackson Dinky with a pair of EMG-Hz passives and an afterburner gain boost in it, but i am planning to go active. there's already a battery in the cavity for the afterburner, and the passives have the quick connect wiring. does anyone know if i can simply swap my passive EMGs for actives via quick-connect?? i have not sat down to pour over wiring diagrams yet, but does anyone already know if the wiring would already be set for the actives (once swapped) to draw off of the existing battery that the afterburner uses??

EDIT: this is why i hate "sticky" threads.. nobody notices new shit in them
__________________
break down amidst the mixtures

Last edited by TangledMortalCoil : 2007-02-13 at 18:28.
Reply With Quote
  #717  
Old 2007-02-18, 17:16
the_bleeding's Avatar
the_bleeding the_bleeding is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,816
Send a message via MSN to the_bleeding
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangledMortalCoil
i've got a Jackson Dinky with a pair of EMG-Hz passives and an afterburner gain boost in it, but i am planning to go active. there's already a battery in the cavity for the afterburner, and the passives have the quick connect wiring. does anyone know if i can simply swap my passive EMGs for actives via quick-connect?? i have not sat down to pour over wiring diagrams yet, but does anyone already know if the wiring would already be set for the actives (once swapped) to draw off of the existing battery that the afterburner uses??

EDIT: this is why i hate "sticky" threads.. nobody notices new shit in them

No it wont. You'll have to rewire the battery and the afterburner so that the new pups can get power.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahmers Fridge
In the US "fanny" is a word used to describe the ass or butt. Here in the UK "fanny" is a lady garden (vagina)
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!
Reply With Quote
  #718  
Old 2007-02-24, 18:10
DeathCS's Avatar
DeathCS DeathCS is offline
Wasted Custom User title
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Minneapolis.
Posts: 5,002
Send a message via AIM to DeathCS Send a message via MSN to DeathCS
i just installed 81/85 set on my ibanez. sounds great. i dont care if all guitars with emg's sound the same, sounds damn good.
__________________
This is my signature.
Reply With Quote
  #719  
Old 2007-02-26, 03:17
Soulinsane's Avatar
Soulinsane Soulinsane is offline
Pirate Lawd
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hanger 18
Posts: 6,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathCS
i just installed 81/85 set on my ibanez. sounds great. i dont care if all guitars with emg's sound the same, sounds damn good.


Yeah
__________________
Authorized Mercury Magnetics tech/dealer
Reply With Quote
  #720  
Old 2007-02-27, 10:51
BIG SHAFE BIG SHAFE is offline
New Blood
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2
I am trying to wire up my EMG-ZW set in a Jackson Kelly. I have it set up for 2 tones and 2 master volumes (I cut out extra holes and enlarged the cavity). My problem is with wiring up the green wire from the jack plate and the wires from each colume pot to the switch. None of the schematics have my switch type.

Here is a picture of similar to my switch (http://www.ibanez.com/parts/2000_PA...T/3PS1C3WTG.jpg). There are six tabs, 3 on the outer edge and 3 in the center. When I picked up the body there was no existing wiring I could use as a guide.

I don't know which to solder to, any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49.


========

Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer
Copyright © 2001-2009 MetalTabs.com. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.