MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average.
Old 2004-06-30, 21:41
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to x2xAtreyux2x
I own an edge pro and know that you need to cut'em unless you do the headstock thing.
Old 2004-07-05, 09:54
New Blood

Send a message via AIM to Pawn Send a message via Yahoo to Pawn
There's really no such thing as the true "metal guitar". It's mostly in the pickups and amps. Like, by look, one would say I have metal equipment, I have an ESP EX, an MT-2 (rocks), a wah, a marshall amp... I play absolutely everything... I rock out on Bryan Adams, AFI, Black Sabbath, Foreigner, I write punk songs next to my metal songs, along with Power ballads, "viking metal" songs, as my friend would like our project to be. etc. etc. etc. so the metal guitar is a label, what you do with it decides what that guitar is.

"Beyond and to all time I stand." AFI, "Midnight Sun"

"In the eyes of the blind, I have no end." Pawns Of Men
Old 2004-07-05, 10:10
Metalhead

Send a message via Yahoo to Squall
I like ESP and Jackson for metal, pretty cool ones, specially jacksons...RR models are nice, so as the kelly and no more words for the soloist, amazin guitars...but i also think that ibanez and PRS are pretty versatil, they are pretty modeled to everything...well not soooooooooooo much to metal but they sound opretty nice...thats my opninion but i dont play too much metal thats why i mentioned prs....i would say fender but ha.....you would kill me....telecasters are preeeetty nice...
Old 2004-07-06, 01:50
Metalhead

It doesn't matter what kind of guitar you own, it's what you do with it. I have a Gibson Les Paul Standard loaded with EMG 81's and a Hamer Eclipse foreign model with stock pick ups...they both kick ass. If you get a guitar over 500 US dollars you are getting a quality axe. Now you just have to play good. Although, if I had to recommend a guitar I would say get a HAMER. The US made ones absolutley slay anything.
Old 2004-07-06, 10:21
Senior Metalhead

the new joe satriani models are pretty sweet.
Old 2004-07-06, 14:15
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to mctriple
what headstock thing is necessary to not have to cut the ball ends off?

i have an edge pro 2 and didn't cut the balls off. i just let the balls hang down a bit so they weren't touching the bridge.. just like they weren't there basically. they're in the little ball saddle things down there. seems like a good spot to me, they never had any trouble.

i mostly use my 570 with the edge, though, and my first guitar was an ibanez strat copy w/a floyd, so i'm used to cutting the balls off.. it's NO big deal lol. not at all.
Old 2004-07-06, 14:19
Senior Metalhead

ohh man... why would you put EMGs in a les paul?

or do you mostly like the lp for looks?

to me, lps have always been a sacrifice for playability which yields sweet, sweet tones. EMGs sound the same in any guitar, so you don't hear the LPs voice anywhere.

i had a gibby lp that i sold off last month.. kept the pups stock and they still rocked. if i get another one some day.. i'll be puttin passives in there.

it's my opinion, though, that active pups are totally overrated. they sound the same all the time, it just bores me. i'm a huge fan of dimarzio.

my rg570 with tone zone and air norton combo has some killer tones, and it's unlike most guitars. the squeals, the chugs, fast runs, they all sound so cool.

maybe i just got tired of the EMG sound.. you can always tell when they're being used.

a tone zone or duncan jb at the bridge of a les paul.. now there's a hot sound.
Old 2004-07-06, 16:05
Wasted Custom User title

Send a message via AIM to DeathCS Send a message via MSN to DeathCS
Yeah I agree with you, EMGs are kind of generic sounding.
Old 2004-07-06, 16:53
Senior Metalhead

yeah, generic.. that's not necessarily bad, but when you have a guitar with a mohagany body and set mohagany neck.. that awesome tone doesn't make a difference. it ends up sounding the same as it would if you had a $50 plywood guitar

it is a cool sound though. harmonics rock with actives.
Old 2004-07-06, 17:28
Wasted Custom User title

Send a message via AIM to DeathCS Send a message via MSN to DeathCS
Although actives will sound similar in a cheap guitar as opposed to an expensive one, the more expensive one will always sound much better. But the two guitar both with the same passive pickups, that a different story...
Old 2004-07-06, 18:13
Post-whore

Send a message via Yahoo to metal=life
I like my Jem with the DiMarzio evos. Even for metal...My guitars all have EMGs and its real boring.

------D---
------E---
------A---
---METAL
------H---

"One day we all will die, a cliched fact of life."
Pantera - I'm Broken
Old 2004-07-06, 19:54
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Send a message via ICQ to BLS Send a message via AIM to BLS Send a message via Yahoo to BLS
Damn, you lucky bitch! How much did you pay for the Jem??

JB ALL THE WAY!

"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.
Old 2004-07-09, 23:05
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to northerndragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybris
Now i know that half the kick ass sound u get from a metal band comes from their amps, but im lookin for a good "metal guitar." Right now i have an ibanez - X model and if u dont know what that is then go here and look it up. I have looked and some ESP's and other ibanez models like the K-7. which pickups do u guys prefer, the ESP's or the humbuckers? so far my ibanez is awesome, no tuning problems and hardly any maintenance but if u guys think u got a better guitar and tell me and i'll have a look see...

actually all the kick ass sound comes from talent heh

but anyway, i never played the K-7 so I dont know how it sounds. I agree with Moonraven, who cares who plays it. But it depends on what kind of sound you want. I personally dislike B.C Rich. Ibanez is good, Gibson is really good, Jackson is good especially for metal and PRS is another one I like. I never really played an ESP but dont ever buy one with EMG-Hz's in it, a lot of esp's are comming with those now-a-days.

nÝrthern dragon
Old 2004-07-10, 02:25
Post-whore

Send a message via ICQ to h4x5k8 Send a message via AIM to h4x5k8 Send a message via MSN to h4x5k8 Send a message via Yahoo to h4x5k8
Quote:
Originally Posted by northerndragon

but anyway, i never played the K-7 so I dont know how it sounds. I agree with Moonraven, who cares who plays it. But it depends on what kind of sound you want. I personally dislike B.C Rich. Ibanez is good, Gibson is really good, Jackson is good especially for metal and PRS is another one I like. I never really played an ESP but dont ever buy one with EMG-Hz's in it, a lot of esp's are comming with those now-a-days.

ESP's are startin to put emg actives in there shit stock now even the lower model ltd's like the eclipse, which is still an ltd but around 800 bucks.
Old 2004-07-10, 10:30
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Send a message via ICQ to BLS Send a message via AIM to BLS Send a message via Yahoo to BLS
Quote:
Originally Posted by northerndragon

Why would you buy a signature guitar from a shit band like korn?? You can get the same guitar wuithout eh useless u bar bullshit.. and without the lam k-7 shit all over it. Oh it also cost aobut half the price

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.
Old 2004-07-13, 16:32
Senior Metalhead

but hell why would anybody buy gibson or prs? go get a custom shop hand-built for the same price that they charge for their factory made guitars. sure, they're good guitars, but they charge hand-made prices for things they crank out of their factory.. it's ridiculous. for $2500 you can get a simply BETTER les paul or custom 24. not that they're bad, they're awesome guitars, but a completely hand-built guitar will even blow a gibson or prs away, and it's the same price. i'd go shamray over another gibson or prs.

and im not so much a hater.. i had a gibby lp that i recently sold because it just wasn't that good to justify having it around when i've got a kid on the way. for factory jobs, an ibanez takes the cake. i love my rg 570. manufacturing quality is just as good for the japanese models, but it's at least 1/2 the price.
Old 2004-07-13, 17:23
Pirate Lawd

I agree. Hand built guitars have a superior sound. For the price of a Gibson CNC built guitar you could get 2 custom handmade Ran guitars from Poland.

My Ran guitar is the best sounding metal guitar I have ever had. Never again will I buy a exspencive CNC built guitar. Ran guitars even play better than the Jackson USA KV-1 I had before and are far cheaper too. God bless Ran guitars! I wish I could but stock in Ran.
Old 2004-07-13, 18:52
Post-whore

I have stock in Wrigley's gum...

but yeah, congrats on that axe...sounds like a second wife Only it knows when to keep its mouth shut and speak when spoken to! Just kidding too much coffee for me

I like my new Ibanez Jem but I would not mind buying a Ran next. I have a problem with buying guitars and not amps...so my next purchase has to be an amp. But a Ran is tempting

------D---
------E---
------A---
---METAL
------H---

"One day we all will die, a cliched fact of life."
Pantera - I'm Broken
Old 2004-07-13, 18:55
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

I cant belive you have a JEM but no amp lol

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.
Old 2004-07-13, 18:56
Post-whore

I know its depressing

------D---
------E---
------A---
---METAL