Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording
User Name
Password

Old 2004-06-12, 08:43
Post-whore

Send a message via MSN to Necro_Butcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdislexicx
my guitarist's backup guitar has an hz in the bridge, he has no problems pulling out pinches left and right....seriously, he can pretty much solo with nothing but pinches... so maybe it's just your ability to pull off pinches.
he has the hz set really close to strings, so you might try raising it.
but yeh, they arent so great, i much prefer his guitar with an 85/60 set.

no i bet its cause he has a shitty amp or distortion pedal, or both
i have a bcrich with 81/85 and sometimes my pinches will turn to feedback on some amps
Old 2004-06-12, 13:06
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

shitty amp or dist pedal? no no no, he has a 5150 with sovteks and a sonic maximizer in the loop on top of a crate bv4x12 loaded with v30's.... so his amp is great. he has a boss ns-2 so his shit doesnt feed back at high volumes, it doesnt affect his tone either, and he has talent and proper technique so his pinch harmonics actually sound like pinch harmonics...

i don't see how a shitty amp or distortion pedal would "help" pulling of pinches....i can do it fine with just about any half decent guitar with just about any half decent amp. but it's easier with nicer guitars with good pu's into a good amp.... sorry if i'm not seeing your logic. but if you have a nice guitar with and 81/85 set into a good amp then it isnt the gear it's the guitarist.
Old 2004-06-12, 18:21
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Send a message via ICQ to BLS Send a message via AIM to BLS Send a message via Yahoo to BLS
Quote:
shitty amp or dist pedal? no no no, he has a 5150 with sovteks and a sonic maximizer in the loop on top of a crate bv4x12 loaded with v30's.... so his amp is great. he has a boss ns-2 so his shit doesnt feed back at high volumes, it doesnt affect his tone either, and he has talent and proper technique so his pinch harmonics actually sound like pinch harmonics...

i don't see how a shitty amp or distortion pedal would "help" pulling of pinches....i can do it fine with just about any half decent guitar with just about any half decent amp. but it's easier with nicer guitars with good pu's into a good amp.... sorry if i'm not seeing your logic. but if you have a nice guitar with and 81/85 set into a good amp then it isnt the gear it's the guitarist.

you should have him check out the MXR Smart Gate. I used to use the Boss ns-2 until i tried the Smart gate... damn its awesome, my amp can be COMPLETLY silent when i stop playing, yet it dosent cut back on sustain or tone. Kinda pricey though ($120 @ musiciansfriend)

"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.
Old 2004-06-12, 18:38
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
you should have him check out the MXR Smart Gate. I used to use the Boss ns-2 until i tried the Smart gate... damn its awesome, my amp can be COMPLETLY silent when i stop playing, yet it dosent cut back on sustain or tone. Kinda pricey though ($120 @ musiciansfriend)

nah dude the ns-2 is awesome.... it doesnt chop off anything from his sound. if he doesnt have it on then he can just sit there and it will be noisey as fuck, but with it on it's nice and quite. you just gotta know how to use it.
Old 2004-06-12, 21:21
Post-whore

Send a message via MSN to Necro_Butcher
Quote:

well if he has that shit then id say its not his pickups that are the problem, lets just leave at that
Old 2004-06-12, 22:02
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS

Ever try a ISP technologies descrimator pedal; seems like it was made for hi gain metal players that change tempos fast? Far superior to any pedal or rack gate/noise reduction imo. If I ever get my guitar from US Customs, next thing I'm doing is to finish getting a rack set, but my ISP pedal will be included in my rack somewhere.
Old 2004-06-13, 00:07
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Send a message via ICQ to BLS Send a message via AIM to BLS Send a message via Yahoo to BLS
Quote:
nah dude the ns-2 is awesome.... it doesnt chop off anything from his sound. if he doesnt have it on then he can just sit there and it will be noisey as fuck, but with it on it's nice and quite. you just gotta know how to use it.

yeh i used to think that too

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.
Old 2004-06-13, 14:54
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necro_Butcher
well if he has that shit then id say its not his pickups that are the problem, lets just leave at that

yeh, considering v30's are only some of the best speakers everymade... and sovtek tubes in a 5150 must sound horrible, especially with a cruddy bbe sonic maximizer ....
in case you read something wrong, there's nothing wrong with his rig. his guitar is great, the pickups in it are great, the ns-2 is an awesome noise suppressor, 5150's are great heads and sovteks are great tubes. a sonic maximizer can help any rig. v30's are like the best speakers(tied with g12t-75's and greenbacks). and the bv4x12 is actually a really nice cab when loaded with great speakers and no crate decal.
he has no problems with it. it's just that people say emg's suck or 5150's suck, blah blah... then i just think..."hhmmm these people must be the ones sucking because me and my guitarist have no problem getting great sounds out of his emgs and 5150.
Old 2004-06-13, 23:28
Lo, they do call to me...

Send a message via AIM to MoonRaven Send a message via MSN to MoonRaven Send a message via Yahoo to MoonRaven
i just hate the sounds that emgs give, duncans have more of a natural sound, emg's are harsh and dont sound different in different guitars. 5150's are killer amps though.
Old 2004-06-14, 14:03
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonRaven
i just hate the sounds that emgs give, duncans have more of a natural sound, emg's are harsh and dont sound different in different guitars. 5150's are killer amps though.

emg's do sound different in different guitars, the active ones just sound less different in different guitars.
duncans can sound pretty harsh too. it just depends on if you don't know how to work your shit.
i laugh when people talk shit on something like emg's... saying they have no tone and they sound exactly the same in every guitar.... blah blah. i just sit here and think "god these guys must not have very good technique" or " they must not know how to adjust the knobs on there amps" because i can play a decent guitar with or without active emgs through a decent amp and still get a good sound out of it.
amps react differently to different pickups, if you go from a jb to an invader you totaly just changed your sound and you will have to adjust your setup. same as if you go from a dimarzio tone zone to an emg 81, the sound has completely changed and you need to adjust your shit.
every body has a different sound, and deciding which pickups you want is just another way to get "your" sound.
Old 2004-06-14, 14:31
FUCKING HOFF-STYLE!!!!!!!

I tried out a jackson with duncans at a store, with a marshall, and i dialed in some high gain shit, sounded like shit to me.
Old 2004-06-14, 18:47
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

duncan designed = shit
marshall ........ high gain????? yeh right...

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.
Old 2004-06-14, 20:58
Wasted Custom User title

Send a message via AIM to DeathCS Send a message via MSN to DeathCS
Marshalls can be high gain. Nile uses them and they have some heavy dist.
Old 2004-06-14, 22:49
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

they can be, with the help of a tube screamer or something of the sorts

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.
Old 2004-06-14, 23:29
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
they can be, with the help of a tube screamer or something of the sorts

have you ever played a marshall?????
m4- high gain
dsl- high gain
tsl- high gain
jmp- high gain
the jcm 900's and 800 as well as other older tube marshalls can get pretty high gain with high output pu's and the gain & volume dimed, but not jcm 2000 type high gain.
the s.s. stuff(avt,mg....) is so so when it comes to gain.
but yes marshalls can do high gain with no assistance
Old 2004-06-14, 23:42
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

Peavey VTM-120 is pretty high gain too, perfect for me because it was only $330.
Old 2004-06-14, 23:54
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalThrashingMad
Peavey VTM-120 is pretty high gain too, perfect for me because it was only $330.

well..... peavey vt era amps are weird lets just call it that...... my cabs are oldschool vt era cabs with bass ports n' shit, crazy, but very high quality and awsome sounding.
Old 2004-06-15, 00:19
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

Quote:
well..... peavey vt era amps are weird lets just call it that...... my cabs are oldschool vt era cabs with bass ports n' shit, crazy, but very high quality and awsome sounding.

My cab is a 412 Peavey with Sheffields. I couldn't really distinguish between good or bad cabs. Is there really a big difference, say, between the 412 and a 1960A cab, that cost 600 freakin' dollars?
Old 2004-06-15, 00:30
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Quote:
have you ever played a marshall?????
m4- high gain
dsl- high gain
tsl- high gain
jmp- high gain
the jcm 900's and 800 as well as other older tube marshalls can get pretty high gain with high output pu's and the gain & volume dimed, but not jcm 2000 type high gain.
the s.s. stuff(avt,mg....) is so so when it comes to gain.
but yes marshalls can do high gain with no assistance

Ive played a M4 (sucks) a TSL (was better) and a JCM 800 (didnt like it much) I didnt played them cranked though...

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.
Old 2004-06-15, 03:36
FUCKING HOFF-STYLE!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
duncan designed = shit
marshall ........ high gain????? yeh right...

It wasnt duncan design, it was real Seymour Duncan. And it was a TSL that i plugged it into.