MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2004-04-23, 15:06
Frank_The_Tank
New Blood

Peavey 5150 or 5150 II?

I've been thinking on buying a 5150 II recently but a lot of people have told me the 5150 has better tone, and I've also heard the 5150 II has better clean tone. Some one please tell me the better buy, because I am a Van Halen fan and I need a evrsatuile amp but i need to be able to get his sounds out of it.

Old 2004-04-23, 15:34
Panda
Senior Metalhead

there is no better tone! this term doesn't exist as far as it's up to u to build up ure own opinion. that can't be so hard. go and find out whats the better tone for urself. don't piss of the guys here with it. if ure one of those guys who just buys things cuz someone told u it owns major ass... then just buy the 5150.

i can't understand why people buy thing theys haven't allready tested. do you want to have tons of gear u don't use ore do u just wanna waste shitloads of money for no reason. so my advice to u.... test it then ask again if u still want to.

again ... brain=thx

Old 2004-04-23, 15:40
Frank_The_Tank
New Blood

LOOK MAN

OK LOOK MAN, I DONT LIVE IN A HUGE CITY LIKE YOU, I LIVE IN A TOWN WITH A POP. OF 75,000 SO I CANT JUST GO OUT AND TRY ANY AMP I WANT. WE ARE ACTUALLY LUCKY TO HAVE SUCH A SELCTION WHERE WE ARE. I JUST WANTED TO KNOW SO I CAN TELL THEM TO ORDER IT FOR ME AND I WOULD PLAY IT BEFORE I MADE MY DECISION.

Old 2004-04-23, 15:43
Frank_The_Tank
New Blood

AND SO ONCE AGAIN, SOMEONE TLEL ME WHICH ONE HAS THE BETTER EVH SIGNATURE SOUND

WHICH ONE SHOULD I TELL THEM TO ORDER SO I CAN TRY IT OUT. AND DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT AMP EDDIE USES AT THIS PRESENT MOMENT?

Old 2004-04-23, 15:51
Panda
Senior Metalhead

1. i live in a village with 2000 inhabitants and i've tested alot. so pls stfu.
2. u can read TONS of reviews in the net if u can handle to search terms with google. ( test www.harmonycentral.com ....for those who got problems with searching )
3. u HAVE to hear em both to be sure about what u will buy.and if youre going to test it before u buy it why u ask then ???? u will c wich one has the better tone for you and this post will be irrelevant for ure opinion.

and apart from all that i told u 5510>5150 II

Old 2004-04-23, 19:13
metalprep6969
Metalhead

ease up on the dude man, he just had a question.

I've got a 5150 II, and i love it. Brutal warm distortion, and it's less noisy than the 5150 (especially after new tubes, cuz stock tubes suck). The 5150 II is also more versatile, becuase it has two separate EQs, plus the clean channel has a mode to go into "crunch", which is a distorted rhythm channel. Though the 5150 does sound different, in my opinion neither one sounds better, just a bit different. Despite what people may say, they do not have the same internal circuits, but alas they do sound very similar. In case you were wondering who uses them besides EVH...Jesper from In Flames uses the 5150 II and Bjorn uses the 5150. Arch Enemy also uses 5150s. I think i read that Chimaira uses 5150s. If you want a similar amp to the 5150 series that's even more versatile, try the peavey XXX or the new Joe Satriani Signature (basically a super-modified XXX).

\m/

"Follow The Hollow" - Soilwork

Old 2004-04-23, 22:20
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Dont bother with harmony central reviews. Go and play the amps.

"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2004-04-24, 00:05
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_The_Tank
WHICH ONE SHOULD I TELL THEM TO ORDER SO I CAN TRY IT OUT. AND DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT AMP EDDIE USES AT THIS PRESENT MOMENT?

OMG I LIKE TALKING IN CAPS TOO

Old 2004-04-24, 03:27
DEAD
Post-whore

I live in a borough of 1,000. There is only once city in my whole county.
Comforting silence

Old 2004-04-24, 15:16
Frank_The_Tank
New Blood

Thanks Man

Metalprep6969, you helped a lot. Which amp does eddie use, the II or the normal 5150?

Old 2004-04-24, 21:24
Frank_The_Tank
New Blood

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Guys I don't know about that panda guy but w/e went up his ass is still there for sure.

Old 2004-04-25, 15:59
Corpsevomit98
Post-whore

You dont need to post once after the other to make a point.

Old 2004-04-26, 17:30
orangebic
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_The_Tank
Which amp does eddie use, the II or the normal 5150?

he uses marshalls and soldanos live and for pretty much everything. 5150s were used on balance. asshat.

Old 2004-04-26, 20:58
Frank_The_Tank
New Blood

OK

Yeah but he uses the 5150 for recording, so thats all i really care about, no and i think he used to use soldanos and marshalls, not ne more tho.

Old 2004-04-26, 21:38
orangebic
Metalhead

lol, he USED it for recording, on only one album no less. eddie has always used marshalls, on every album and every tour. i guarantee that on their new tour he'll be using marshalls for his main tone. the 5150s are for show.

Old 2004-04-26, 21:55
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

none the less, 5150's rock for rock. they more than rival amps that cost almost twice as much.

Old 2004-04-26, 23:17
orangebic
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdislexicx
they more than rival amps that cost almost twice as much.

thats subjective, i havent played a stock peavey that ive been happy w/. theyre great platforms for mods, though.

Old 2004-04-27, 12:39
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

put a stock 5150 up to a stock mesa dual recto... they both sound great. but the price difference is huge...
just about any amp can sound better when it's modded and or retubed.

Old 2004-04-27, 16:48
orangebic
Metalhead

Quote:
put a stock 5150 up to a stock mesa dual recto... they both sound great.

well, the mesa sounds great...

Old 2004-04-27, 21:11
Corpsevomit98
Post-whore

Mesa Rectos Kick ass

Old 2004-04-27, 21:59
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Id take a 5150 over a rectifier anyday.

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2004-04-27, 22:58
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebic
well, the mesa sounds great...

be careful not to burn your lips on that crack pipe man.
many people would take a 5150 over a recto anyday.
i myself could go either way, i'm more of a rack and botique amp kinda guy, which alot of that stuff to me kills the "peavey-peavey,mesa this marshall that" crap.
not that mesa marshall and peavey don't make good heads, but i like having the option of having many different brand names and tonal characteristics in my rack shit, with a head you pretty much just have what you have, if you don't like it you have to get a different one or spend even more money getting it modded & retubed.

Old 2004-04-27, 23:59
orangebic
Metalhead

Quote:
i'm more of a rack and botique amp kinda guy, which alot of that stuff to me kills the "peavey-peavey,mesa this marshall that" crap.

boogies were the original "boutique" and even today many people still refer to them using that terminology. plus, they make some killer rack stuff. peavey and marshall make rack stuff, too, at lesser quality.

Quote:
but i like having the option of having many different brand names and tonal characteristics in my rack shit, with a head you pretty much just have what you have

thats why you see a lot of people having multiple heads. not that either way is better or worse, its just a matter of choice.

Quote:
if you don't like it you have to get a different one or spend even more money getting it modded & retubed.

same thing w/ rack gear. if you dont like a piece you have to get a different one or spend more money getting it modded. retubing should be the FIRST thing anyone does to an amp, racked or not. switching out tubes is the simplest "mod" that anyone can do to an amp to change tone. its not like retubing an amp is a big deal, its required maintenance. in fact, retubing some pieces of rack gear can easily cost more than the retubing of a head. for the cost of retubing my strategy 500, i could have bought another pre; i can only wish that it cost as much as the retubing a head.

Old 2004-04-28, 01:02
EZURATE
Metalhead

Where are you from? I got a 5150 II head for sale.

Old 2004-04-28, 06:03
butterscotchdelight
New Blood

what about hughes and kettner triamps? ive heard they are pretty awesome, but they are very expensive.

Old 2004-04-28, 12:52
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

mesa doesnt really count as botique... awsome brand and all,i've used a mesa preamp for almost a year and it was great but i sold it and bought a bogner preamp. and mesa's simul class's are the best guitar poweramps out there imo. but they're not really botique.

the thing is with a head, you have pretty much the same componants as a basic rack setup, a preamp and a poweramp. in a rack setup if you don't like a preamp, but you love your poweramp, you can get a new preamp and keep your poweramp. and so on. plus all the other shit you can put in a rack case.

having multiple heads and or combos is very expensive,excessive, and bulky. but if thats your thing than go for it. hell,i plan on getting a couple heads down the road. a bogner uberschall, which has the most brutal distortion on the planet, and an h & k triamp which imo has the best all around tone of any head. but for now i'm all about the rack shit.

Old 2004-04-28, 20:18
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Anyone heard to new H&K Warp X?? I guess its a tube Warp 7??

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2004-04-28, 20:28
orangebic
Metalhead

Quote:
mesa doesnt really count as botique...

thats your opinion, many people would disagree.

Quote:
awsome brand and all,i've used a mesa preamp for almost a year and it was great but i sold it and bought a bogner preamp.

you bought a preamp DESIGNED by bogner. theres a big difference between something designed and something actually built by reinhold. if you dont believe me, try out your hafler next to an xtc or a fish. similar, but in a totally different league.

Quote:
the thing is with a head, you have pretty much the same componants as a basic rack setup, a preamp and a poweramp.

you do, but you also lose some of the interaction between those components. you could spend thousands upon thousands on a rack but it will never respond quite like a true head will, and that, imo, is the true drawback of rack gear.

Quote:
in a rack setup if you don't like a preamp, but you love your poweramp, you can get a new preamp and keep your poweramp. and so on. plus all the other shit you can put in a rack case.

you can do that w/ heads, too. dont like the sound of your head, throw a pre into the loop. you can get rack cases for heads and just about anything else; you dont have to "go rack" to have one.

Quote:
having multiple heads and or combos is very expensive,excessive, and bulky.

expensive? yes. its nice to be able to spend $300 on a preamp and have it get me a close approximation of the head its based upon. for $2000 ive got the basic tones of a slo, an xtc and a recto, in stereo no less. cant really argue w/ that. theyre reasonable facsimiles, but its not the same as playing the real thing.

excessive? no, at least none more than a rack.

bulky? not if its done right. ive seen some very nicely setup racks that include amp heads and they didnt look like something that 2 people couldnt move. i incorporate both regular amp heads and rackmounted preamps into my rack. there are just some sounds that you cant get out of normal rack gear that you can out of a head.

not trying to be an ass, just argumentative.

Old 2004-04-28, 21:42
younguitarist
Post-whore

go 4 the peavey 5150

Old 2004-04-28, 22:50
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
thats your opinion, many people would disagree.

you bought a preamp DESIGNED by bogner. theres a big difference between something designed and something actually built by reinhold. if you dont believe me, try out your hafler next to an xtc or a fish. similar, but in a totally different league.

you do, but you also lose some of the interaction between those components. you could spend thousands upon thousands on a rack but it will never respond quite like a true head will, and that, imo, is the true drawback of rack gear.

you can do that w/ heads, too. dont like the sound of your head, throw a pre into the loop. you can get rack cases for heads and just about anything else; you dont have to "go rack" to have one.

expensive? yes. its nice to be able to spend $300 on a preamp and have it get me a close approximation of the head its based upon. for $2000 ive got the basic tones of a slo, an xtc and a recto, in stereo no less. cant really argue w/ that. theyre reasonable facsimiles, but its not the same as playing the real thing.

excessive? no, at least none more than a rack.

bulky? not if its done right. ive seen some very nicely setup racks that include amp heads and they didnt look like something that 2 people couldnt move. i incorporate both regular amp heads and rackmounted preamps into my rack. there are just some sounds that you cant get out of normal rack gear that you can out of a head.

not trying to be an ass, just argumentative.

bogner designed... yes i know, but compare it to a regular hafler preamp.. it beat the shit out of them.
then compare it to the bogner fish, most would probably say fish is better,(personal taste), no matter which way you go, for the money... holy shit you can't arque that the triple giant is a better deal.

you seem to be under the impression that all preamps are just based of a certain head... some are, but many arent. you'd be better of using that arguement against digital amps.

but talk all the crap about rack gear you want, i like my shit better than many tube tops out there, heads are great and all,hell, there are a few that i plan on getting. but right know i'm trying to get together something with a bit more control for what i'm doing.
rectos,jcms,and 5150's are what everybody uses these days, i get such a more unique tone that doesnt sound like every body elses. and when i do go for heads they wont be just another trendy recto amp that every body and there mom swears by.

anyways, can we get back to the subject? 5150's and such...

Old 2004-04-28, 23:43
orangebic
Metalhead

Quote:
bogner designed... yes i know, but compare it to a regular hafler preamp.. it beat the shit out of them.
then compare it to the bogner fish, most would probably say fish is better,(personal taste), no matter which way you go, for the money... holy shit you can't arque that the triple giant is a better deal.

better deal? eh, i dunno about that one. id rather have a pre that is 100% useable for my applications that one where almost 60% of the gain is as unusable as a peavey. quite simply, the fish IS better. maybe not worth what some people are charging for it, but if i had the cash id snag one in an instant.

Quote:
you seem to be under the impression that all preamps are just based of a certain head... some are, but many arent. you'd be better of using that arguement against digital amps.

most are. all of soldanos preamps are based off the SLO, boogies off the mark and recto series, bogners eventually became the xtc, jmp-1 based off the entire marshall line; a lot of em are based off the same circuitry that are found in the heads.

Quote:
anyways, can we get back to the subject? 5150's and such...

ok. heres my $.02 about 5150s: id buy a line 6 before i would ever buy a peavey.

Old 2004-04-29, 12:45
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

i can't even respect your opinions now......

Old 2004-04-29, 16:54
butterscotchdelight
New Blood

line 6 over a peavey????......

what?

Old 2004-04-29, 17:20
Slabbefusk
FUCKING HOFF-STYLE!!!!!!!

don't even think about it.

Old 2004-04-29, 18:46
orangebic
Metalhead

Quote:
i can't even respect your opinions now......

thats fine, ignorant people often shun that which they cant comprehend.

Old 2004-04-29, 18:47
orangebic
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterscotchdelight
line 6 over a peavey????......

what?

sure, why not? line 6 makes some really good gear. i cant say the same about peavey.

Old 2004-04-29, 20:15
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

LMAO.... dumbest thing i ever heard.

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2004-04-29, 20:58
orangebic
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
LMAO.... dumbest thing i ever heard.

fine w/ me. youd prefer a 5150 to a recto so your opinion means dick to me.

Old 2004-04-29, 21:28
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

well, go ahead and buy one of those fake sounding digital amps if thats your thing i guess. but a 5150 II could get more brutal than any line 6.

Old 2004-04-29, 22:13
orangebic
Metalhead

brutal does not equal sounding good.

Old 2004-04-30, 02:59
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

yeh but i guess thin, sterile, digital bullshit does??

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2004-04-30, 03:18
orangebic
Metalhead

line 6s sound a hell of a lot better than any peavey ive played. maybe you just dont know how to play guitar? tone is in the fingers, they say. or maybe i just dont "get it" because im not a flogging neanderthal metalhead like yourself?

Last edited by orangebic : 2004-04-30 at 03:21.

Old 2004-04-30, 12:41
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

when the day comes that a line 6 is considered better than the amps it tries to model, then maybe i'll tell my guitarist to trade in his 5150 for one. but right now he gets great tone, and it's funny because when i first started jamming with him, he was playing a line 6 but it sounded sooo shitty compared to my tube rack gear,so he took it back and bought a real amp and never looked back.
and that "dissing metalheads" talk is childish. besides i'm not a metalhead anyways.

Old 2004-07-06, 18:02
Angel-Of-Death
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
or maybe i just dont "get it" because im not a flogging neanderthal metalhead like yourself?

lol... its kind of true... do you guys know about anything exept metal? id like to see you guys play a classical guitar piece on an acustic (thats a guitar with out an amplifier, i know its hard to imagine) im not trying to insult you all but goly ge wiz i dont see any diversity!

Old 2004-07-06, 19:30
Laareppi
Senior Metalhead

no offense, but why do you you think this is the MetalTabs forum???
because we DON'T live for this shit? think again.

but all right, i'm not judging you or anything. actually i believe most of the people in guitar zone plays/have played blues or something, like clapton or stevie ray vaughan or something.

sorry, bit off topic. oh, i'd definately take the 5150 rather than II. personal preference, i like the sound of if. but i'd still take a crate bv300...

Old 2004-07-06, 20:23
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel-Of-Death
lol... its kind of true... do you guys know about anything exept metal? id like to see you guys play a classical guitar piece on an acustic (thats a guitar with out an amplifier, i know its hard to imagine) im not trying to insult you all but goly ge wiz i dont see any diversity!

I bet most of us easily can. Its called Music Theory.. learn it. I can pretty much play any style.

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2004-07-06, 20:50
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel-Of-Death

more ignorance from your mouth kid!?.....*shakes head*.
i'm not even that "metal"....i don't play in a black or death metal band. but i can certainly play some black metal and death metal... i don't play in a blues or jazz band, but i can certainly play it.
personal preference retard... a guy in a metal band isnt going to judge his amp buy how good the cleans are... he wants to know how the distortion handles....
line 6 distortion= digital/thin/blocky/muddy/sterile/cold/lifeless
5150 distortion= smooth/crunchy/thick/warm.... oh and it has "tone"
thats why 5150's are for harder rock that depends more on gain and fenders are for more jazzy/light cleaner stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
I bet most of us easily can. Its called Music Theory.. learn it. I can pretty much play any style.

+1
music theory....

Old 2004-07-06, 21:04
Slabbefusk

damnit i need theory, DARKO BRING LIGHT INTO OUR DARKNESS GOT DAMNIT!

Old 2004-07-07, 00:42
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

www.Ultimateguitarpages.com used to have an EXCELLENT theory lesson, but now the sites down... luckily i printed all the lessons out before it went down

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2004-07-07, 05:25
Angel-Of-Death
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
i don't play in a black or death metal band. but i can certainly play some black metal and death metal... i don't play in a blues or jazz band, but i can certainly play it.

+1
music theory....

thats all i needed to know...

and i do know about music theory my guitar teacher forces it on me all the time.

Old 2004-07-07, 06:08
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

two years of AP music theory,3 of guitar,2 &1/2 of percussion ensemble, and 1 of music listening.... in high school...plus 4+ years of private guitar and drum lessons... hell, even colledge credit....
i know enough, but there is so much more to learn. i'm still taking private lessons for guitar working with tapping techniques and stuff and latin drum stuff.
alot of this shit i will never need or even use, but i do it anyways... i don't listen to latin music or play in a latin band, but you should hear my beats

i think every body has their own style to them, but i just think overall experience and knowledge of a subject will just make you better.

Old 2004-07-08, 04:12
orangebic
Metalhead

Quote:
5150 distortion= smooth/crunchy/thick/warm.... oh and it has "tone"

lmao. you keep telling yourself that, kiddo.

Old 2004-07-08, 04:20
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

You should be killed for your stupidity.

Old 2004-07-08, 05:09
CarnalAltar
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNIBALCORPSE
You should be killed for your stupidity.

I'll second that. If you want a prefab "saturday morning cartoons" kind of metal sound, get line6. If you want the real, raw eviscerating sound get peavey. Plus lots of great rock and punk tones (for all you non-"neanderthals" out there). RRRRRAAAAUUUGH!!!! (beats ground with bone, picks nose and eats it)

Old 2004-07-08, 07:16
Slabbefusk

Peavey kills Line 6. Marshall kills Line 6. Crate kills Line 6. All the real tube amp producers kill Line 6. There is absolutely no warmth in Line 6 amps, all sterile.

Old 2004-07-08, 12:18
Necro_Butcher
Post-whore

fuck i wish there was a 5150 around here i could try out

Old 2004-07-08, 19:17
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
lmao. you keep telling yourself that, kiddo.

compared to a line 6?... 5150's arent the best amps ever, but jesus you must be tone def if you think a line 6 is really better than a peavey 5150... i only like a couple line 6 setups... the hd147, the vetta, and a pod through a tube poweramp....
but hell, each of those setups cost just as much if not more than a 5150..... and then compare tone and quality....
you're just one of those ignorant guys that thinks if it's a crate it sux, or if it's a peavey it sux.
might i ask what amp rig you're playing through anyways?

Old 2004-07-08, 19:20
Slabbefusk

Orange?

Old 2004-07-08, 19:56
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

well when he first started posting here he said something about a bogner/hafler triple giant with a mesa strategy.... which is great n all... i have a triple giant and it isnt to bad, but it doesnt do high gain the way i want it to.. the clean and brown channels are pretty good, but the sharp channel can be really noisey and thin/high pitch with alot of gain so i'm selling it now that i have my jmp-1...

and mesa poweramps are some of the best imo, them & vht... i also like the peavey 50/50 because it has a really unique sound for a 50/50 style poweramp... most 100w poweramps use like 4 el34's or 4 6l6's... the peavey classic 50/50 uses 8 el84 and it has an el34 type breakup but with a darker , tighter sound imo.

but i was just wondering what his current setup was because he seems to talk alot of shit on good amps. so he must be playing some botique amp or something amazing.
either way he's an idiot if he thinks peavey is all poorly made shit that will break down in the middle of a gig...

Old 2004-07-11, 01:46
orangebic
Metalhead

Quote:
might i ask what amp rig you're playing through anyways?

preamps:

jmi vox ac-30 head (slaved into the 500)
mesa/boogie triaxis
voodoo amps modified triple giant

power amp:

mesa/boogie strategy 500

cabs:

2 bogner cubes (v30s)
2 mesa/boogie 1x12 thieles (evm 12ls)
mesa/boogie recto standard 4x12 (v90s)

misc/effects:

mesa/boogie midi matrix
eventide gtr4000
isp decimator
thd hotplate (16 ohm)
mesa/boogie abacus
sib varidrive
zvex sho

itll slay any 5150.

Old 2004-07-11, 01:47
orangebic
Metalhead

Quote:
either way he's an idiot if he thinks peavey is all poorly made shit that will break down in the middle of a gig...

did i say itll break down in the middle of a show? (though it wouldnt surprise me) but youre right about the poorly made shit.

Old 2004-07-11, 05:23
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
preamps:

jmi vox ac-30 head (slaved into the 500)
mesa/boogie triaxis
voodoo amps modified triple giant

power amp:

mesa/boogie strategy 500

cabs:

2 bogner cubes (v30s)
2 mesa/boogie 1x12 thieles (evm 12ls)
mesa/boogie recto standard 4x12 (v90s)

misc/effects:

mesa/boogie midi matrix
eventide gtr4000
isp decimator
thd hotplate (16 ohm)
mesa/boogie abacus
sib varidrive
zvex sho

itll slay any 5150.

well, i do agree that it will slay a 5150, but 5150's are still great metal amps. reliable, very mod-able and good sounding. with a very decent price tag.

i was somewhat dissapointed with the triaxis. everybody was telling me how much better it was than the jmp-1....
new triaxis= $1,600
new jmp-1 $1,000
both are very easy to use, midi controlable and such... i believe the triaxis may be a real tube signal path controlled via midi and digital stuff, while the jmp-1 just uses the tubes for warmth over a s.s. signal.... but the overall tube sound quality of a rig will mostly come from the poweramp anyways.
they both sounded equaly good imo, but the mesa sounds like a mesa and marshall sounds like a marshall... i like the marshall sound better i guess... i'd still take an h&k access over both though...

the triple giant i was kinda disapointed in, the sharp channel became kinda thin, high pitch and noisey with alot of gain.
how much better did the guys at voodoo make it sound?
i'm just going to sell mine now that i have no need for it.

Old 2004-07-11, 05:25
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
did i say itll break down in the middle of a show? (though it wouldnt surprise me) but youre right about the poorly made shit.

all you ever bitch about is how you THINK they suck and are unreliable/poorly made shit....

Old 2004-07-13, 01:17
orangebic
Metalhead

Quote:
all you ever bitch about is how you THINK they suck and are unreliable/poorly made shit....

correction: all i ever bitch about is how i KNOW they suck and are unreliable/poorly made shit.

Old 2004-07-13, 01:27
orangebic
Metalhead

Quote:
everybody was telling me how much better it was than the jmp-1....

w/ good reason too. it IS better.

Quote:
new triaxis= $1,600
new jmp-1 $1,000

marshall loves to milk its customers. that pre isnt worth more than $500-600 new, tops. the mesa is overpriced too, but its still leaps beyond that marshall crap.

Quote:
they both sounded equaly good imo

wow, if you cant tell the difference in tonal quality between a jmp-shit and a triaxis it really should come as no surprise to me that you like the 5150.

Quote:
the triple giant i was kinda disapointed in, the sharp channel became kinda thin, high pitch and noisey with alot of gain.
how much better did the guys at voodoo make it sound?

sounds like you just described the jmp-1. voodoo took a good pre and made it better. no more buzzy gain at high settings, more open sound, much better note definition.

Old 2004-07-13, 05:25
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Your funny. If you cant get a good tone out of the 5150 then your must be retarded. Countless amounts of bands have been able to do it. Maybe if i remove the peavey logo off my amp and put a big "Mesa Boogie" logo on it then you'll like it.

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2004-07-13, 06:49
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
w/ good reason too. it IS better.

lmao.... sure it is ignorance and arrogance just make YOU look dumb.
it's not a matter of FACTS, it's personal opinion.

Quote:
marshall loves to milk its customers. that pre isnt worth more than $500-600 new, tops. the mesa is overpriced too, but its still leaps beyond that marshall crap.

most amp makers "milk" the customers. the mesa still isnt hot shit...

Quote:
wow, if you cant tell the difference in tonal quality between a jmp-shit and a triaxis it really should come as no surprise to me that you like the 5150.

i didn't say i couldnt tell the difference moron... i said i liked them pretty equally...
i like the 5150 because i'm not an idiot and i know how to turn a couple knobs on a head to make it sound good.

Quote:
sounds like you just described the jmp-1.

yeah right... the jmp-1 sounds nothing like the triple giant... it has more gain and doesnt sound like ass with alot of it... it also has more balls and a nicer clean.
it has great note definition, just because it doesnt cover your mistakes with mud doenst mean it has bad note definition.

i hate when kids come on forums and think that if it isnt what they play then it sucks. and that's how you're acting.

face it, me and thousands of other people have no problems busting out great sounds from 5150 rigs, but you, a wannabe "Mr. knowitall" complain about how you cant get good sounds out of it and you blame the maker instead of the player.
i've used and been around alot of peavey gear... i KNOW they're good. anybody who knows what he or she is doing knows they're just fine too....

Old 2004-07-13, 15:23
orangebic
Metalhead

Quote:

yeah right... the jmp-1 sounds nothing like the triple giant...

of course it doesnt. the triple giant actually sounds pretty good.

Old 2004-07-13, 19:58
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

well, there we have it... if you actually think a stock triple giant sounds better than a stock jmp-1, then i hate your taste in tone... no wonder you hate so many GOOD amps.
because i own both and i'd take the jmp-1 anyday, it has more gain, it doesnt get super noisey with alot of it, savable presets, more controls, tighter lows and more of them, a more usable mid control, a presence control, more flexible midi mapping/control options. fuck, it just has a waaayy better over all sound.
i wouldnt be suprised if you've never even played a jmp-1 or 5150 for more than 5 minutes the way you talk about them.....

Old 2004-07-14, 10:33
Slabbefusk

its a personal preference...