MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Old 2004-04-01, 17:18
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNIBALCORPSE
I already got Seymour Duncan Invader Pickups in the bridge pos. Very high output. So how much money would new tubes cost and the installation? Sorry, im new to the world of tube amps.

you'd probably be better off taking it back and buying an amp that you actually like the tone of, because although upgrading tubes will help your tone, it will still be the same amp, but with a little nicer sound....it's hard to explain.
but with about $900 you could buy a nicer tube halfstack used, like: a jcm 2000,5150,xxx,or even a blue voodoo.
Old 2004-04-01, 19:11
Wasted Custom User title

Send a message via AIM to DeathCS Send a message via MSN to DeathCS
I dont know, I'm pretty happy with the tone with my mt-2. I know it defeats the purpose of tube amp, but..yeah..
Old 2004-04-02, 08:29
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

if you just want to use your mt2 you might as well save yourself some money and buy a s.s. halfstack.
or maybe team it up with a nice poweramp and a couple rack accesories like a graphic eq,sonic maximizer, and a compressor, then just go from there pushing a nice cab. i think mezzoid does something like that with a mt 2/rack setup....
Old 2004-04-02, 15:29
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to DEAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdislexicx
mt 2/rack setup....

*Shudders* ewww....
Comforting silence
Old 2004-12-25, 22:16
New Blood

I also bought the ST-100A at the Guitar Center and it has Sovtek 5881 output tubes... I get a better tone using the 6l6 flying C tubes...and more output...but i mainly play more rock and these tubes are perfect for that tone...
Old 2004-12-26, 16:50
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to Innards-Decay
the st100 is the most hated amp on metaltabs, with the spyder 2 coming in a close second.
Old 2004-12-26, 20:01
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by memnoch
Here's my 2 cents:

If you want cheap but powerful and crunchy, go with the Peavey Bandit 112 combo. It's what i'm using, been using for 3 years, and it's wonderful. I play in a band, and my amp competes with a 5150 II Head and 5150 cabinet, and it does so just fine (as long as he keeps his volume below 5, hehe).

im thinking of getting a new amp soon and i was just wondering how good the distortion is on peavey bandit 1112
Old 2004-12-26, 20:15
Post-whore

this may not agree with some of you, but anything peavey makes outside of the XXX and 5150 doesnt sounds very metal to me.
Old 2004-12-26, 21:24
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Banned

Send a message via AIM to John Holland
I saw a local metal band about 2 weeks ago, and the guitarist was warming up before the show ... incredible tone. Huge, heavy, rich in harmonics, a guy who I knew did not tune below drop-D. I had to see what amplifier he was playing, because it sounded somewhere in between a tube amplifier and a high quality solid state ... Tube, in that the tone was great, and solid state for its tight response. He had this :

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...ase_pid/487798/

And ... his distortion was supplied by a Boss metal master, and he was playing a mid level Jackson that could'nt have costed more than 5-600$ from Musicians Friend ( granted, it did have Seymour Duncans in it, but just imagine what an X-2N or an EMG might do ).
Old 2004-12-26, 21:29
Post-whore

nice, ive been considering a jackson MG series lately, but i dunno. Buying guitars is so confusing sometimes.
Old 2004-12-26, 23:09
Banned

Yes, right now I've narrowed my next purchase to one of five guitars. As if I could not get any more indecisive, then I start to think about Ran ...

Hey, you've got me quoted in your sig!
Old 2004-12-26, 23:47
Post-whore

of course, that was quote worty. Yeah, ive got about 10 guitars i want... hahaha.
Old 2004-12-27, 00:19
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holland
I saw a local metal band about 2 weeks ago, and the guitarist was warming up before the show ... incredible tone. Huge, heavy, rich in harmonics, a guy who I knew did not tune below drop-D. I had to see what amplifier he was playing, because it sounded somewhere in between a tube amplifier and a high quality solid state ... Tube, in that the tone was great, and solid state for its tight response. He had this :

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...ase_pid/487798/

And ... his distortion was supplied by a Boss metal master, and he was playing a mid level Jackson that could'nt have costed more than 5-600$ from Musicians Friend ( granted, it did have Seymour Duncans in it, but just imagine what an X-2N or an EMG might do ).

Old 2004-12-27, 00:23
Post-whore

hahaha, yeah, im not much of a pedal dude my self either.
Old 2004-12-27, 01:15
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innards-Decay
hahaha, yeah, im not much of a pedal dude my self either.

shitty head, horrible cabs, worthless pedal, decent guitar... yeh, then he raves about the distortion tone...
Quote:
Tube, in that the tone was great, and solid state for its tight response.

haha, i mean c'mon.. can he even justify this opinion? tube doesnt exactly mean good tone.. and s.s. doesnt exactly mean tight response.

and then i just think about the gear he is trying to describe.
Old 2004-12-27, 01:34
Post-whore

yeah, i dunno john, that crate setup looks pretty worthless.
Old 2004-12-27, 12:01
Banned

I'm not necessarily advocating buying an amplifier like that ... if I were going to purchase a crate it might be a blue voodoo ( but why that when you can get a mesa/marshall? ). But the point is, if you're a truly great player like this guy was, you can use almost anything granted its loud enough.

And the person who started this thread might consider that amplifier then, if they are looking to spend a small amount of money. But my actual advice to him is to save up, and get something tried-and-true.
Old 2004-12-27, 14:30
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
if I were going to purchase a crate it might be a blue voodoo ( but why that when you can get a mesa/marshall? ).

because the blue voodoo doesnt sound like a mesa or marshall at all, so that might be somebody else's idea of great tone.

and if you think that mesa and marshall are the best you need to play more amps..

Quote:
But the point is, if you're a truly great player like this guy was, you can use almost anything granted its loud enough.

not really... i think you're reffering to the common "tone is in the fingers" phrase...
to me it's much overrated. people think they can play through any setup and sound good... WRONG! steve via can not get loads of gain into a jc 120 just from his fingers...

in conclusion, your fingers are only part of the "tone equation". i'd say the rig is just as important if not more sometimes.

sure i could probably get good tones from that rig... i'd rather use the head's distortion than the metal master simply because it's better.. i don't know how anybody can stand those peice of crap pedals.. but i would much rather play a good setup and get even better tones.

but the way you described his tone as if were DA BOMB seemd a bit funny to me...
Old 2004-12-27, 18:05
Wasted Custom User title

Send a message via AIM to DeathCS Send a message via MSN to DeathCS
Quote:
I'm not necessarily advocating buying an amplifier like that ... if I were going to purchase a crate it might be a blue voodoo ( but why that when you can get a mesa/marshall? ). But the point is, if you're a truly great player like this guy was, you can use almost anything granted its loud enough.

And the person who started this thread might consider that amplifier then, if they are looking to spend a small amount of money. But my actual advice to him is to save up, and get something tried-and-true.

If an amp is low gain, you cant make it high gain just from your fingers.

And I am the person that first started this thread about 6 months ago. I no longer own a metalzone, and I have since gotten rid of the horrid b-52 half stack. I now own a Crate 'shockwave' GT3500H which I'm pretty happy with. I dont have to use pedals to get good tone so I'm happy.
Old 2004-12-27, 18:10
Post-whore

Send a message via MSN to Necro_Butcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdislexicx
because the blue voodoo doesnt sound like a mesa or marshall at all, so that might be somebody else's idea of great tone.

and if you think that mesa and marshall are the best you need to play more amps..

not really... i think you're reffering to the common "tone is in the fingers" phrase...
to me it's much overrated. people think they can play through any setup and sound good... WRONG! steve via can not get loads of gain into a jc 120 just from his fingers...

in conclusion, your fingers are only part of the "tone equation". i'd say the rig is just as important if not more sometimes.

sure i could probably get good tones from that rig... i'd rather use the head's distortion than the metal master simply because it's better.. i don't know how anybody can stand those peice of crap pedals.. but i would much rather play a good setup and get even better tones.

but the way you described his tone as if were DA BOMB seemd a bit funny to me...

yes good point about the JC 120 xdx