Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording
User Name
Password

Old 2004-03-27, 13:14
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezzoid
Because I'm not an idiot. I can figure out how to wire up a few pieces of gear without getting lost. I have a dedicated piece of gear for each function of my rig, and you think some nappy tube head is going to be better? There's only one tube amp I've heard that sounds good by itself, the Uberschall. At over $2000 for the head, my whole rig cost me half as much. Maybe if I was playing in Van halen or some other hair band I could use a tube amp, because that's mostly what I hear when I play through them, 80's metal/rock tone. I don't think I'll be going antiquing anytime soon.

calm down buddy, no need to get all defensive over your rig. he was just saying that with a setup like that there are alot of things that can go wrong. you need to chill out with that "got something to prove" attitude. your rig sounds like it has potential to sound good to me.
but you don't honestly expect us to give up our amazing tube tone that we love, just because some guy came on these forums and bashed a few tube amps with his opinion, do you?
Old 2004-03-27, 13:32
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Send a message via ICQ to BLS Send a message via AIM to BLS Send a message via Yahoo to BLS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezzoid
Because I'm not an idiot. I can figure out how to wire up a few pieces of gear without getting lost. I have a dedicated piece of gear for each function of my rig, and you think some nappy tube head is going to be better? There's only one tube amp I've heard that sounds good by itself, the Uberschall. At over $2000 for the head, my whole rig cost me half as much. Maybe if I was playing in Van halen or some other hair band I could use a tube amp, because that's mostly what I hear when I play through them, 80's metal/rock tone. I don't think I'll be going antiquing anytime soon.

I hopw your rig fucks up right before a gig. Have a good day

"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.
Old 2004-03-28, 06:38
New Blood

I can't figure out where you think that I would have a problem with my rig. All it consists of is 2 pedals, an eq, a compressor, and a poweramp run through a surge protector. See, my rig is modular, which means that if something does go wrong, it can still keep going in some form or fashion. What happens if your rig blows a tube? Do you have to bias new tubes? Do you have to pull the whole amp apart to fix it? Do you get the same tone when you get the new tube in? Same thing with a S.S. head, what do you do if the power won't come on, check the plug, then what? I'm sorry, but a modular rig is better than any all in one solution. Plus, with a dedicated piece to each function you get greater flexibility. But, the real thing is that I can't be satisfied with what amp manufacturers tell me is the coolest thing. I don't believe the hype from anybody, I trust my ears to make me happy. Until about five years ago they didn't make a single amp I liked all by itself. They really don't offer anything that's flexible enough for me now, so why would I buy one? I'm not trying to be pissy about this whole thing, but if they made an amp I liked, I would have it and be screaming about it from the rooftops, because I've had a hard time finding an alternative to the generic sound everybody else seems to be happy with. My friend jokes that Guitar Center should make a package deal out of a PRS guitar and a Mesa/boogie triple rectifier, because he worked there and seen them go out the door all day. And I'm not saying that the tube tone sucks, I hear a lot of good sounding tone on CDs, but not my tone.
Old 2004-03-28, 17:06
Wasted Custom User title

Send a message via AIM to DeathCS Send a message via MSN to DeathCS
I bought the B-52 ST-100A tube head thing. I probably would have got the 5150 or something if I had more money. Plus guitar center had a deal on it so i didnt have to pay for a year

So now i ask, does any one have that model? If so can you give me your settings for the best tone - DEATH METAL tone
Old 2004-03-28, 20:12
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNIBALCORPSE
I bought the B-52 ST-100A tube head thing. I probably would have got the 5150 or something if I had more money. Plus guitar center had a deal on it so i didnt have to pay for a year

So now i ask, does any one have that model? If so can you give me your settings for the best tone - DEATH METAL tone

what cab do you have it going through? you shouldnt worry about other people's settings, find your own... try scooping out the mids a bit, but not completely or you'll have a really hollow sound that wont cut through the mix, but just enough to give it a little bite.
Old 2004-03-28, 20:16
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Send a message via ICQ to BLS Send a message via AIM to BLS Send a message via Yahoo to BLS
Cool! I havent tried any of the b-52 tube heads because the last time i went to guitar center those werent out yet. Got any clips of the amp? Id like to hear it

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.
Old 2004-03-28, 21:21
Post-whore

I have a randall RG100SC combo its actually not that bad for about 700 bucks. It compares to the 5150 combo i tried.
Old 2004-03-28, 22:56
Wasted Custom User title

Sorry to be a dumbshit but, Scooping the mids? What do you mean by that?
I currently have the mid turned all the way down.
The cab is the b-52 one unfortunately. It was way cheaper and its really fucking loud

Last edited by CANNIBALCORPSE : 2004-03-28 at 23:00.
Old 2004-03-29, 00:48
Senior Metalhead

my two amps are perfect for death metal

peavey 5150 II stack 1600 for the head brand new and 1000 for each 4by12

and my practice amp is a crate gtx212 120 watts it cost me 700 bucks canadian brand new

and its loud and wicked
Old 2004-03-29, 08:30
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Sorry to be a dumbshit but, Scooping the mids? What do you mean by that?
I currently have the mid turned all the way down.
The cab is the b-52 one unfortunately. It was way cheaper and its really fucking loud

scooped mids means they are turned down... no mids at all will usually give you a killer distortion at low volumes and or when you're by yourself... but once you have a bassist,another guitarist, and a drummer going, you probably wont cut through the mix unless you turn your mids up a little.
Old 2004-03-29, 12:11
Wasted Custom User title

I still use my mt-2 on the clean channel. The gain channel just doesn't have enough power. Not suitable for Death Metal. The mt-2 on the clean channel fucking rules Real bottom heavy tone. Some times its just to distorted so im gonna take a few hours to fiddle with it. Currently my tone sounds closest to Deicides tone off their new album. So it all works out
Old 2004-03-29, 12:51
Post-whore

How much did the B-52 stack cost u?

Sold my shit, now its time to PARTY!!!!!
Old 2004-03-30, 21:35
Wasted Custom User title

B-52 Head- $599.99
Cab- $299.99
+tax
over all a great deal
Old 2004-03-30, 22:36
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Using a pedal on a tueb head makes me sick maybe try a one of those tube screamer pedals. The tubes are what give it such great distortion. And BTW what tubes are in there right now?

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.
Old 2004-03-31, 21:37
Metalhead

Peavey 5150 II

I got a Peavey 5150 II head for sale. If you're in the Chicagoland area. Let me know. I currently use a Marshall AVT150 head and don't need a powerful tube amp head like the 5150 II. Currently it's loaded with Svetlana Power Tubes (much better than the stock Sovtek tubes that it came with).

Last edited by EZURATE : 2004-03-31 at 21:52.
Old 2004-03-31, 21:52
Wasted Custom User title

I have no idea what tubes are in it. Im assuming that their pretty weak thus the wimpy gain I get out of it with out a pedal. Would better tubes get me better tone?
Old 2004-04-01, 08:33
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZURATE
I got a Peavey 5150 II head for sale. If you're in the Chicagoland area. Let me know. I currently use a Marshall AVT150 head and don't need a powerful tube amp head like the 5150 II. Currently it's loaded with Svetlana Power Tubes (much better than the stock Sovtek tubes that it came with).

you're selling a 5150 II for a marshall avt!?!?
Old 2004-04-01, 08:39
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
I have no idea what tubes are in it. Im assuming that their pretty weak thus the wimpy gain I get out of it with out a pedal. Would better tubes get me better tone?

better tubes like jj or sovteks will give you a much better sound than the stock tubes in your b52.
not much point in buying a nice tube amp if you're just going to run a cheap pedal through it imo. unless its a fenderish amp that is designed mainly for cleans. i'd suggest retubing it with sovteks, and then trade in that mt 2 for a seymoure ducan pickup booster pedal or some kind of high output bridge pickup.
Old 2004-04-01, 13:56
Wasted Custom User title

I already got Seymour Duncan Invader Pickups in the bridge pos. Very high output. So how much money would new tubes cost and the installation? Sorry, im new to the world of tube amps.
Old 2004-04-01, 14:03
Senior Metalhead

I used to have a Peavy, 112 Transtube series amp. I had to sell it last year for other reasons... But anways, it had solid tone, good distortion and effects, with reverb, delay, chorus mixed in there. 100 watts through the High end, and 80 through the low. Good enough in my opinion for death metal. Pretty soon, I'll be getting another one or similiar. If not the peavey, then definitely a Marshall or Crate. Shit, I've messed around with a line 6, I'm even interested in getting that maybe.