MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us


Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording
User Name
Password


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 2008-08-10, 13:38
Metalhead498 Metalhead498 is offline
New Blood
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Canada,Alberta
Posts: 13
Question I'm a fucking idiot

can someone tell me how to record my music onto the computer I have a mixer it has a recorder input and output and I don't know what I need to buy .please help
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2008-08-12, 00:29
the_bleeding's Avatar
the_bleeding the_bleeding is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,816
Send a message via MSN to the_bleeding
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalhead498
can someone tell me how to record my music onto the computer I have a mixer it has a recorder input and output and I don't know what I need to buy .please help


double male 1/8th inch cord. You should have a red, black or blue socket next to your green speaker socket. Stick it in there. Make sure you have a program on your computer that can record it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahmers Fridge
In the US "fanny" is a word used to describe the ass or butt. Here in the UK "fanny" is a lady garden (vagina)
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2008-08-12, 09:54
brainsforbreakfast's Avatar
brainsforbreakfast brainsforbreakfast is offline
El Diablo sin pantalones
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Yggdrassyl
Posts: 4,321
Send a message via MSN to brainsforbreakfast
and you need a soundcard on your pc.

But these days, all pc's come with at least a (shitty) onboard soundcard.
Havent seen a pc without one in halve a decade.

It helps if you have a line-in port rather then only a mic-in.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem
Why would you sig that?
Why not? Why would you sig me saying that I hate you? I was serious there, too.


I'm in despair! The internet has left me in despair!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2008-08-17, 00:18
TangledMortalCoil's Avatar
TangledMortalCoil TangledMortalCoil is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NoVA
Posts: 300
that all depends on the output on your mixer.. is it a 1/4 inch jack (like a thick headphone plug)?? if so, you will need to get the 1/8 inch male to 1/8 inch male plug (AKA headphone jack to headphone jack). you will have to put a 1/4 adapter on the mixer end (little headphone plug to big headphone plug). the smaller one (like a normal headphone plug) goes right into your sound card. usually there are color-coded holes and some kind of embossed icons near them to indicate which is for input. figuring out the hardware part is not so tough.

now the software... if you have a windows-based pc, just double-click on that volume-control icon in the lower right corner of your screen. a lot of times the line-in is muted, so you may need to un-click it. have something playing through the mixer so you can hear it through your computer speakers. then in the volume-control screen, you need to go into (i believe it's the first drop-down) the menu and choose the Recording options, and make sure that the source you are plugged into (for example, Mic or Line-In, or Aux-In, or whatever your computer's sound interface has) is selected for recording.

THEN, you need to have a program to record. this is easy.. just go get Audacity (look it up on Google, it's free and simple to use) and install it. once you are in the program, you will be able to record and the program will have a level monitor. you can adjust your recording levels from the output of the mixer, or from the volume-control interface in windows. if you do a test recording, and you get nothing, go back to the Volume-Control properties, and make sure that the line you are plugged into is selected under recording properties. remember, you not only need to hear the sound of the source coming through your computer, but you also need to direct your computer to choose that source to record.

once you've got your computer receiving the sound from the mixer, just mess around for a while to find the right levels and familiarize yourself with the whole process. all of this sounds really complex but it's not, just take it one step at a time.

EDIT: Audacity doesn't seem to have a level monitor.. i was thinking of SoundForge but that's not freeware. sorry, too many warsteiners!
__________________
break down amidst the mixtures

Last edited by TangledMortalCoil : 2008-08-17 at 00:27.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2008-08-17, 22:13
the_bleeding's Avatar
the_bleeding the_bleeding is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,816
Send a message via MSN to the_bleeding
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainsforbreakfast
and you need a soundcard on your pc.

But these days, all pc's come with at least a (shitty) onboard soundcard.
Havent seen a pc without one in halve a decade.

It helps if you have a line-in port rather then only a mic-in.


pish posh. My mobo has a pimp ass HD onboard soundcard. 7.1 surround sound with 3d simulation bitchezzzzz!!!!


... if only i had enough speakers
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahmers Fridge
In the US "fanny" is a word used to describe the ass or butt. Here in the UK "fanny" is a lady garden (vagina)
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2008-08-26, 17:56
Metalhead498 Metalhead498 is offline
New Blood
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Canada,Alberta
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangledMortalCoil
that all depends on the output on your mixer.. is it a 1/4 inch jack (like a thick headphone plug)?? if so, you will need to get the 1/8 inch male to 1/8 inch male plug (AKA headphone jack to headphone jack). you will have to put a 1/4 adapter on the mixer end (little headphone plug to big headphone plug). the smaller one (like a normal headphone plug) goes right into your sound card. usually there are color-coded holes and some kind of embossed icons near them to indicate which is for input. figuring out the hardware part is not so tough.

now the software... if you have a windows-based pc, just double-click on that volume-control icon in the lower right corner of your screen. a lot of times the line-in is muted, so you may need to un-click it. have something playing through the mixer so you can hear it through your computer speakers. then in the volume-control screen, you need to go into (i believe it's the first drop-down) the menu and choose the Recording options, and make sure that the source you are plugged into (for example, Mic or Line-In, or Aux-In, or whatever your computer's sound interface has) is selected for recording.

THEN, you need to have a program to record. this is easy.. just go get Audacity (look it up on Google, it's free and simple to use) and install it. once you are in the program, you will be able to record and the program will have a level monitor. you can adjust your recording levels from the output of the mixer, or from the volume-control interface in windows. if you do a test recording, and you get nothing, go back to the Volume-Control properties, and make sure that the line you are plugged into is selected under recording properties. remember, you not only need to hear the sound of the source coming through your computer, but you also need to direct your computer to choose that source to record.

once you've got your computer receiving the sound from the mixer, just mess around for a while to find the right levels and familiarize yourself with the whole process. all of this sounds really complex but it's not, just take it one step at a time.

EDIT: Audacity doesn't seem to have a level monitor.. i was thinking of SoundForge but that's not freeware. sorry, too many warsteiners!

Very well done post but how does the mixer come in?I'm the biggest idiot with technology but can I add more instruments to the mixer to record to the PC?do I need any more cords?I was reading the sticky on Guitar adapters could you enlighten me on that?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19.


========

Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer
Copyright © 2001-2009 MetalTabs.com. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.