MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us


Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording
User Name
Password


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread
  #1  
Old 2005-05-23, 08:28
etherealprince etherealprince is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 138
Send a message via AIM to etherealprince
5150 tube help

Today I am finally receiving my Peavey 5150 combo from the UPS man. The guy I bought it from packed the tubes (JJs) in a seperate box so I am going to have to put them in myself. This is going to be my first tube amp and I have no clue what I should do, what tube goes where. All I really know right now is that i should have the amp unplugged so I dont electrocute myself.
If anyone knows any site or has a diagram of what I should do, and where I should put each tube, could you please post it?
Thanks for the help in advance.
-EP
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2005-05-23, 10:12
xdislexicx xdislexicx is offline
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The West.
Posts: 4,433
big tubes go in the big holes, little tubes go in the little holes.
__________________
Friends don't let friends play Krank!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2005-05-23, 10:19
brainsforbreakfast's Avatar
brainsforbreakfast brainsforbreakfast is offline
El Diablo sin pantalones
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Yggdrassyl
Posts: 4,321
Send a message via MSN to brainsforbreakfast
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdislexicx
big tubes go in the big holes, little tubes go in the little holes.


+1

shouldn't be hard.. realy
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem
Why would you sig that?
Why not? Why would you sig me saying that I hate you? I was serious there, too.


I'm in despair! The internet has left me in despair!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2005-05-23, 13:42
etherealprince etherealprince is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 138
Send a message via AIM to etherealprince
So it doesnt matter which specific plug they go into?
Lol I always thought it was a bit more complicated, serves me right.
And should i wear gloves or something? Ive had bad experiences with halogen bulbs during tech crew at school, and wasnt sure if tubes were the same way.
i.e. you touch them, the glass pops and can cause some nasty injuries.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2005-05-23, 14:45
brainsforbreakfast's Avatar
brainsforbreakfast brainsforbreakfast is offline
El Diablo sin pantalones
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Yggdrassyl
Posts: 4,321
Send a message via MSN to brainsforbreakfast
Just don't touch them when they have been powered recently, let them 'drain' before.
It should be pretty safe to touch them I neither the amp or the tubes have had current through them yet, but don't quote me on it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem
Why would you sig that?
Why not? Why would you sig me saying that I hate you? I was serious there, too.


I'm in despair! The internet has left me in despair!

Last edited by brainsforbreakfast : 2005-05-23 at 14:47.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2005-05-23, 17:07
BLS's Avatar
BLS BLS is offline
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,705
Send a message via ICQ to BLS Send a message via AIM to BLS Send a message via Yahoo to BLS
The big tubes(Power amp) go right on the chasis.. they only fit one way. The little tubes (Preamp) go inside the comparment on the back of the amp.. you will have to take off a panel. They also only go in one way.

Enjoy!
__________________
"Believe the word
I will unlock my door
And pass the cemetery gates"

"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2005-05-23, 17:33
HermanRi! HermanRi! is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,524
seems straight forward, just like replacing a lightbulb

i thought it was a lot more complicated than that
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2005-05-23, 20:38
Kylito Kylito is offline
Supreme Metalhead
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Where the slime live...
Posts: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by etherealprince
So it doesnt matter which specific plug they go into?
Lol I always thought it was a bit more complicated, serves me right.
And should i wear gloves or something? Ive had bad experiences with halogen bulbs during tech crew at school, and wasnt sure if tubes were the same way.
i.e. you touch them, the glass pops and can cause some nasty injuries.

Clean any fingerprints etc. off of the glass with isopropyl alcohol. If the amp was properly biased before it would have been nice for the previous owner to mark which power tube went in which slot when it was tuned. Since they weren't marked you should have it biased.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 2005-05-23, 21:23
etherealprince etherealprince is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 138
Send a message via AIM to etherealprince
Well my 5150 is all tubed up and I fucking love it!
The only issue i had really was the metal coverings on the AX's but I got that fixed in no time (had a bit of trouble pushing them down into the plug). Thanks for the input!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 2005-05-24, 06:50
BLS's Avatar
BLS BLS is offline
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,705
Send a message via ICQ to BLS Send a message via AIM to BLS Send a message via Yahoo to BLS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylito
If the amp was properly biased before it would have been nice for the previous owner to mark which power tube went in which slot when it was tuned. Since they weren't marked you should have it biased.


The 5150 is fixed bias.
__________________
"Believe the word
I will unlock my door
And pass the cemetery gates"

"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 2005-05-24, 15:43
xdislexicx xdislexicx is offline
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The West.
Posts: 4,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylito
Clean any fingerprints etc. off of the glass with isopropyl alcohol. If the amp was properly biased before it would have been nice for the previous owner to mark which power tube went in which slot when it was tuned. Since they weren't marked you should have it biased.

if it's a matched quartet into a 5150(as bls said, fixed bias) it shouldnt be a big deal which power tube goes where.
__________________
Friends don't let friends play Krank!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 2005-05-24, 21:17
Kylito Kylito is offline
Supreme Metalhead
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Where the slime live...
Posts: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
The 5150 is fixed bias.

Ah, -1 for me then. I should have looked it up...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54.


========

Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer
Copyright © 2001-2009 MetalTabs.com. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.