User Name
Password

Old 2012-04-04, 17:43
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Send a message via AIM to Dyldo Send a message via MSN to Dyldo
Quote:
Originally Posted by L,B'XXX
You guys are way over my taste buds and price ranges.

Naaah. That dinner I posted ran me just around $25, and I have lots of left-overs (and it got me through a bottle and a half of El Yucateco!). Eating great can be done cheaply if you know where to go. I think a good majority of my all time favorite dishes are from hole-in-the-walls which is why PST is wrong and just trying to impress me so he can get my creme fraiche all over his face.

Richard, do you remember when you were down here and I had no idea where to eat beyond a mediocre Italian place and Chipotle? Its embarassing to think about how long I went not knowing what a foodie paradise Orange County is. If you ever come back, its off to Santa Ana and Little Saigon we go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DameFraMorkum
I would literally murder you for just 1 authentic taco! Do you think they keep in the mail? I'll trade you for some foie gras once they take it out of your greasy, goose-torturing hands!

Hahaha, I'm sure if you did over-night shipping it wouldn't be too much of a quality loss. I've never had day-old tacos that haven't been refrigerated but I have had 4 - 5 days old tacos that were and it worked. And you can keep your abominated goose liver! I got a dealer, he's got the real shit, man, the shit he serves is pulled out of the goose's body as it's heart still beats and you get to consume it as you watch the life fade from its beady, black eyes.

With the Mexican here, there's more than just those extraordinary tacos, though. Huaraches, pambazos, huetlacoche-everything, alambres, sopes, empanadas, birria stew, pozole, all things mariscos, moles... all envoking that same "OH MY GOD!" authentic, cheap, fresh quality that I literally don't think you can get anywhere else in the states (or at least in such close proximity and regional diversity, though I could be wrong, I haven't been to many border states). My new favorite find is this old-school lonchera that serves Baja style seafood that you'd find the actual natives eating outside of the resorts. They've got this HUGE tostada that is piled with scallop, marlin, crab, octopus, and shrimp with some kind of sweet, burny salsa and pickled onions. Holy fuck is it amazing. Its also home to what is the best fish taco I've ever had in my life and the only place I know of that serves manta ray (which really just tastes like a good white fish, though more "sturdy")!

Its the one thing I usually miss when I'm traveling. I lie to friends and family that I miss them. I just miss the tacos and above and I'm not ashamed of it!

Quote:
Maybe PST knows where they best Mexican food is in NYC? I've tried everything from trucks in Williamsburg, to that one place in Bushwick, to Rosa Mexicano but nothing compares to what you guys get in LA.

Did you try that Florencia 13 place I mentioned? The food columnist in that article is one of my favorites, a good writer with great taste and a walking encyclopedia of everything food (and also a great name on the OC/LA Chowhound boards when he's not writing for OC Weekly) so if he says that place is worthy of a SoCal expat's palate, I'd definitely check it out.

Quote:
I made the broth from scratch from what I had on hand...I always have some frozen mushroom broth left over from reconstituting dried morels and porcinis, and I needed a cabbagey, seaweedy flavor since I couldn't find wakame either so I used pu-erh because it has that funky aftertaste and I thought it would complement the mushrooms. Felt like a goddamned genius.

Nice! I'm pretty much newb 101 when it comes to broths.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so ronrey

Last edited by Dyldo : 2012-04-04 at 18:17.
Old 2012-04-04, 23:27
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to DameFraMorkum Send a message via MSN to DameFraMorkum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyldo
Naaah. That dinner I posted ran me just around $25, and I have lots of left-overs (and it got me through a bottle and a half of El Yucateco!). Eating great can be done cheaply if you know where to go. I think a good majority of my all time favorite dishes are from hole-in-the-walls

Only sushi and foie gras are expensive and I don't eat either very often. My favorite places are also tiny hole in the walls, but usually you have to be in a big city to reap those kinds of benefits. Like sandwiches made with the best baguette in NY and exotic ingredients for $7 kind of benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyldo
My new favorite find is this old-school lonchera that serves Baja style seafood that you'd find the actual natives eating outside of the resorts. They've got this HUGE tostada that is piled with scallop, marlin, crab, octopus, and shrimp with some kind of sweet, burny salsa and pickled onions. Holy fuck is it amazing. Its also home to what is the best fish taco I've ever had in my life and the only place I know of that serves manta ray (which really just tastes like a good white fish, though more "sturdy")!

I hate you. And NO I haven't tried Florencia 13 yet, because I'm in Philly until August
Old 2012-04-05, 10:46
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Send a message via AIM to Chris Rezendes
Quote:
Originally Posted by PST 88
So, the type of trolling we'd suspend or ban a regular member for, when it's from the mods, is okay?

Absolutely.

Quote:
In any case, since you had absolutely nothing to say about the actual content of my post, I can only assume that Paddy is choking down Thing-balls as we speak, and Chris is doing whatever the snake-people from Conan the Barbarian do to survive. Which I'm pretty sure is dudes.

I do what I have to do to get by and that's ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW.

You didn't answer my queston about ginger Jews and, unfortunately, neither did Paddy's valiant MS Paint attempts.
Old 2012-04-09, 05:06
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

In answer to your question, it's actually not preferable, in these United States, to masquerade as a ginger. Maybe in dar al-Islam or something, but not here. You understand that the Irish came to this nation as slaves and never managed to raise their estate, whereas Jews literally own the country, yes? Anyway, I'm tired of this Daniel O'Connell/Benjamin Disraeli vein.

You did take me to the one great taco spot on my last day, Dyldo. That just made me even angrier about the Chipotle, but it was baller.

Florencia 13's not bad, but not very genuine; though NYC's just not a great place for Mexican food, even if it has its good points. You have to understand that different cities in the US attracted migration from different regions of Mexico; NYC attracted Pueblanos, primarily, and their specialty, in my experience, is cemitas. So I can't point you in the direction of any genuine taquerias (Empellon is supposed to be the shit, but it's run by a white boy molecular pastry chef), but I know a few places to get a banging cemita.

The whole 'hole-in-the-wall v. fine dining' thing is almost a pointless discussion. In this country, very few cities can sustain a single, genuine fine-dining restaurant, which puts it out of the reach of almost everybody as a direct experience. However, these restaurants train a huge number of cooks, who depart with an expert level of knowledge regarding technique, tradition, flavor combinations, etc - and very few of whom will have the opportunity, or even desire, to create another fine dining restaurant. This can only be good for everybody.

That said, there's always going to be the little ethnic place, staffed by shoemakers working with the cheapest and shittiest product, who'll dunk on everybody because they're still doing it according to a tradition we can't touch. It's a funny industry that way.
Old 2012-04-09, 05:20
Okay.

Send a message via MSN to blitz906 Send a message via Yahoo to blitz906
I tried some bison sausage. It was delicious. And no, that is not code for "BassBehemoth came over to my apartment."

Know what I really want to try? Kangaroo meat. A few years back when my cousins from Australia visited they were telling me how they always buy kangaroo meat from their local butcher. Considering the fact that I'm on the other side of the world, I will most likely not be able to find it anywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompelledToLacerate
God, the Japanese are so weird. This HAS to be the long term effects of the atom bombs. No one is that weird on purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomli
The slams in that song always kill me. First time I heard that song I was like "Too much heaviness - brain collapse" but now I could murder my family to that one
Old 2012-04-09, 14:22
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Quote:
You did take me to the one great taco spot on my last day, Dyldo. That just made me even angrier about the Chipotle, but it was baller.

Aah, that's right. That place is one of my absolute favorites, and the fact that its open until like 4am gives me a reason to live.
Quote:
I know a few places to get a banging cemita.

Fuck I love those, not very common around here though, or at least not as much as tortas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz906
I tried some bison sausage. It was delicious. And no, that is not code for "BassBehemoth came over to my apartment."

Know what I really want to try? Kangaroo meat.

I've had a bison burger and kangaroo jerky. The former was pretty good but I honestly can't remember what the latter tasted like unfortunately. There used to be this beef jerky shop out in the middle of fucking no where that had a lot of cool weird wild-game jerky like ostrich, alligator, kangaroo, etc but now its gone. I recently found out about this Vietnamese beef jerky place that has like 30+ different kinds that I'm excited to try. I have no idea what any of these are or what makes them Vietnamese but we'll see.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so ronrey

Last edited by Dyldo : 2012-04-09 at 14:28.
Old 2012-04-11, 00:16
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Send a message via AIM to Chris Rezendes
Quote:
In answer to your question, it's actually not preferable, in these United States, to masquerade as a ginger. Maybe in dar al-Islam or something, but not here. You understand that the Irish came to this nation as slaves and never managed to raise their estate, whereas Jews literally own the country, yes?

That's my point! Wouldn't masquerading as harmless, gin soaked gingers make it easier to secretly run this country without attracting the attention of hawk-eyed, conspiracy sniffing, patriotic Ron Paul supporters and Dystopia? You're a Jew who looks like a ginger. I'm a the blacks who looks like a Puerto Rican. I'm just saying, maybe you guys can use my help. Do you hire coloured folk outside of security?
Old 2012-04-12, 07:14
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

Send a message via ICQ to L,B'XXX Send a message via AIM to L,B'XXX Send a message via Yahoo to L,B'XXX
Chris, why did you just use the British spelling of "coloured?"

I sure wish I could get hold of my husband's cousin's recipe for burger/hotdog buns. I've never had anything like them anywhere, and since it's closed up due to bakeries being put in grocery stores here and then his health, there's no getting them anymore. He said it makes 30 dozen at a time. They didn't use preservatives so after a couple days you'd have to soften them in a paper bag, but fresh, they'd melt in your mouth. It's such a shame he couldn't keep the old family business going.

-wally: Mom, you shouldn't play after me because it makes you sound even worse than you already do. -wally:*grumbles and whispers quietly* I guess it's cuz I love you or something, but you're still a TURD
Grimm:I could read your mind but its in font size .5
Amadeus:Oh, and was there a cesserole (never mind spelling) involved?
Paddy:the fact that you didn't end up on a kids show makes me question my atheism
Dyldo: You evil strumpet!
Old 2012-04-18, 15:32
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Ostrich eggs!: http://www.unitedstatesostrich.com/...s.htm#fresheggs

1 = 2 dozen chicken eggs.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so ronrey
Old 2012-04-19, 09:07
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

Send a message via ICQ to L,B'XXX Send a message via AIM to L,B'XXX Send a message via Yahoo to L,B'XXX
When I flew home from Seattle once there was a guy on the flight that was the center of attention both on the plane and at the airport. He was taking a live ostrich egg to a zoo or something like that in Dayton, Ohio. He had a gathering around him after we landed and everyone wanted to see it. It was pretty cool. It was for non-culinary purpose.

-wally: Mom, you shouldn't play after me because it makes you sound even worse than you already do. -wally:*grumbles and whispers quietly* I guess it's cuz I love you or something, but you're still a TURD
Grimm:I could read your mind but its in font size .5
Amadeus:Oh, and was there a cesserole (never mind spelling) involved?
Paddy:the fact that you didn't end up on a kids show makes me question my atheism
Dyldo: You evil strumpet!
Old 2012-04-19, 09:29
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by L,B'XXX
When I flew home from Seattle once...
You can fly??? Jesus, your eggs must be about 240lbs each.

Just kidding, I know what you meant Broomsticks must get some pretty good mileage, eh?