MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone
User Name
Password

Old 2010-05-16, 10:25
ComeOutYeBlackAndTans!

I guess it`d be enough when you wipe both afterwards so that there`s now powder left on them. Even if I don`t know, if that would have any negative effect on the strings/fretboard

R.I.P moe
Old 2010-05-16, 10:42
Quantum.

Yea well, I'll give it a shot with my cheapest guitar and hope for the best.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein
Old 2010-08-13, 06:04
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
Just thought it might be fun to actually dig something up out of the guitar forum.

Lately, temperature has sky rocketed in these parts, bringing to light a real bitch for me - sweaty fingers. I've got a couple of solos that are pretty heavy in bends and so on and the way my fingers tend to just slide around on the fretboard isn't helping at all. I've never had this problem before, for the elegantly simple reason that it isn't until quite recently I've become skilled enough for it to be an issue.
But yea, do any of you guys have any tricks for something like this?

I have to go with Gomli's idea. A little rag in a pocket laced with powered will help. When you get a second during playing try to get to the rag fast and at least dry you tips. It helps me to have the rag hang out of my front pocket. It looks 80's as fuck but does have a purpose. It has been very hot this year in the mid west USA too.

Another idea is to add a bit of super glue to your finger tips in target places. It has helped me before because when my hands get really damp the thick skin will get torn off my tips by big string bends.
Old 2010-09-14, 21:08
New Blood

Send a message via AIM to ledfinger2000
i need help finding a brand of guitar

any body ever herd of gillmore gb 150 electric bass guitars if so a web site would be cool or price check just got my hands on one and have been serching the internet like crazy and got no results for gillmore brand instruments

to see the creatures in the dark is to be a creature of the dark
Old 2011-04-27, 10:18
Quantum.

Why not resurrect an actual old music talk thread, just for shits and giggles. Anyhows.

I've hurt my left hand and/or wrist on three separate occasions during the last year or so, last time was about a month ago. Bad enough to wrap it up in a bandage. And now these last few weeks I've noticed that the, watcha'call it, the meaty part between the thumb and the hand tense up like a bitch when playing guitar, especially when I do barre chords. It relaxes a few minutes or so after I stop playing, but it's annoying as hell. It's kind of like what I experienced when I first learned barre chords. So yea, just curious if anyone here has experienced something similar and perhaps have some advice on what could help? Like, could it help if I was careful to hold my wrist at a certain angle or whatever?

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

Old 2011-04-27, 22:08
Pirate Lawd

I get the same problem when I stop playing for a few weeks. It seems to be muscle craps and goes away after a week of solid practice, stopping and relaxing once it starts.

I also bought one of those grip master finger things a year ago and keep it in my car. It really keeps my hands stronger than before.
Old 2011-04-27, 22:44
Quantum.

Hm, well, then at least it might be worth persevering and see if that helps. I was slowly beginning to suspect that I fucked up some nerve last time.

- Carl Sagan

Old 2011-04-28, 01:07
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
Hm, well, then at least it might be worth persevering and see if that helps. I was slowly beginning to suspect that I fucked up some nerve last time.

I know what you mean. I did have nerve damage that made my whole right hand very weak and numb last year. I couldn't feel the strings or hold a pick tight enough. Very scary event really. I thought it was in my wrist ( I broke a carpel bone years ago ) but the hospital found it was in my elbow. I was given an elbow pad and it actually fixed the problem in a few weeks. No surgery unlike was first thought, unless it comes back. Swelling will pinch a nerve in joints so don't rehab to fast. The nerve and muscle will normally survive and get better slowly over time. I'm 100% now but my left hand had to also rebuild strength after I couldn't play for several weeks and it felt just like you describe.

I hope your hand gets better soon but don't be afraid to talk to a doctor. Try to avoid carpel bone surgery on a hand though. I learned it will relieve pain but fuck dexterity forever.
Old 2011-07-29, 08:59
wigger/redneck/drunkard

I'd love some tips on tremolo picking including picks to use, hand placement, etc. The only way I can do it sort of fast is by moving my whole forearm, which I know is incorrect. Thanks for advice.

http://www.last.fm/user/moe_blunts/
Old 2011-07-29, 10:33
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Send a message via AIM to Dyldo Send a message via MSN to Dyldo
Use a metronome, they help a lot. Keep the concentration on your wrist. Hand placement has a lot to do with the guitar, I think. I'm a pretty fast tremeloer but on my Jackson, the angle is really weird and I can't do it near as well. As for picks, I use hard picks (can't remember the mm - its the dark blue Alligator ones) as I think they give more resistance which allows me to get more speed and volume, but I know some people that swear by thin picks.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so ronrey
Old 2011-09-21, 05:39
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Are string cleaners/lubricants worth the money/effort? I've never used them, but if they can extend the lifespan of my strings a little I'd invest in some.
Old 2011-09-21, 06:45
ComeOutYeBlackAndTans!

Definitely! Same with fretboard polish. Makes everything much cleaner and smoother and you won't believe how much dirt there is on your guitar

R.I.P moe
Old 2011-09-21, 07:15
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

I should have known that a recommendation for lubricant would come from you

Cheers man.
Old 2011-09-21, 10:18
Post-whore

Send a message via MSN to Wolfsherz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Are string cleaners/lubricants worth the money/effort? I've never used them, but if they can extend the lifespan of my strings a little I'd invest in some.

I use Lizard spit. It's a fretboard cleaner (gets a lot of dead skin/blood/etc out, you wouldn't believe it) but it can make guitar and bass strings feel, play and especially sound like they've just been put onto the guitar. About 10 bucks a bottle, lasts a good while, definately worth it.

Aosoth - New album III out now on Agonia Recs
Epoch - bass, guitars, drums, MetaStasizing out asap
Asphixa - bass, demo out asap
Adustum - bass, guitars, full length out soon on XXXXXXXXXX recs

Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane
Tetianblood? ... Well, 'Necrosemen' to you too. Twat.