Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone
User Name
Password

Old 2007-02-13, 15:56
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me himself
I don't doubt for one moment that given a certain amount of talent and creativity, some great metal can be produced with only a single bass pedal... even today, as far as metal has been pushed. Sometimes less is more and we lose sight of the essential role that simplicity has in all musical compositions.

And fun.

I'm in two bands at the moment - one full-blown thrash band with double bass in every song and all the rest of it. The other (which I've only just joined) is an old style DC hardcore/punk band - so think of Minor Threat, TSOL, MDC, Black Flag etc etc. I use a 4 piece kit and a single pedal, one crash, one crash/ride and hats. It's the best BEST fun I've had in such a long time - I can just play and groove and not think about anything but the fucking huge grin on my face.

I think metal *can* suck the fun out of creating music if you get too tied up in the brat race of fast double bass and blasts and agonising over what bpm you're playing at. I haven't a clue what bpm the songs in my new band are, all I know is they've given my drumming a real kick up the arse that I've needed for a long time.
Old 2007-02-23, 14:16
New Blood

a good way to improve your double bass technique is to start doing all the rudiments you do with your hands with your feet.

R L R R, L R L L,....

get a basic rudiments book and start playing it all with your feet.

also, a lot of getting one foot to do a double kick is just about building up the muscles in your legs. you gotta practice it over and over.

don't forget to always lead with your left foot whenever possible. otherwise, your right foot will become way too dominant. This is much like how a lot of drummers have a right hand that is way too strong, and does too much work and moving around the kit.
Old 2007-02-23, 18:08
Too _____, wouldn't fuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripton
a good way to improve your double bass technique is to start doing all the rudiments you do with your hands with your feet.

R L R R, L R L L,....

get a basic rudiments book and start playing it all with your feet.

also, a lot of getting one foot to do a double kick is just about building up the muscles in your legs. you gotta practice it over and over.

don't forget to always lead with your left foot whenever possible. otherwise, your right foot will become way too dominant. This is much like how a lot of drummers have a right hand that is way too strong, and does too much work and moving around the kit.

I think you missed the point of this thread

NEGROGENESIS

Old 2007-02-24, 04:36
New Blood

its all about polyrhythms and limb independance, grind blasts are an excellent way to coordinate your double bass, for every single straight (not shuffling 'monkey' blast) blast note you play with both arms hit each pedal independently

1 2 3 4 1 2 3..
S S S S S S S left hand
C C C C C C C right hand
lf rf lf rf lf rf lf feet

excellent blast and feet independence exercise!
Old 2007-02-24, 18:29
Senior Metalhead

NEWSFLASH!!

Again, that's fuck all to do with this thread.
Old 2007-07-29, 13:10
New Blood

Send a message via MSN to landry
thats like asking how important is pussy in sex
Old 2007-11-08, 15:01
New Blood

when I opened this thread I was listening to old Slayer, which depended heavily on double bass for it's impact. Of course early Metallica doesn't use a lot of double-bass so it really depends on the rest of the music and what kind of sound you're going for. Mostly I listen to a lot of doom and sludge which hardly uses double bass at all. As this is mostly what I've been playing my own skills have declined lately.

When I played grind I was a big fan of it for certain parts, but I still mostly used only the single petal.