MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us


Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone
User Name
Password


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #321  
Old 2007-06-19, 08:54
hot spicy's Avatar
hot spicy hot spicy is offline
Metalhead
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Essen in Germany
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
Also, can somebody name a lead that James Hetfield wrote other than that in Nothing Else Matters?


Second solo in Orion.
Btw Hi John how are you?

Greets
Rob
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #322  
Old 2007-06-19, 10:19
johnmansley's Avatar
johnmansley johnmansley is offline
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Liverpool, England
Posts: 5,975
Send a message via MSN to johnmansley
Hello there, Robert! I'm good, mate
__________________
Album of the day:

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn
Reply With Quote
  #323  
Old 2007-06-19, 23:07
Child of Decadence's Avatar
Child of Decadence Child of Decadence is offline
Metalhead
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
Also, can somebody name a lead that James Hetfield wrote other than that in Nothing Else Matters?


The first solo on Master of Puppets.
Reply With Quote
  #324  
Old 2007-06-19, 23:50
7-string warlord's Avatar
7-string warlord 7-string warlord is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Emory, Texas
Posts: 1,280
I don't think Laiho is over rated...I just don't think he deserves any credit after Are You Dead Yet? I still think Dime was really good too, the only reason he gets more attention than Chuck (who kicks his ass) is because he was in a band that was ,commercially, more successful. The only person I can think of who is over rated is zakk wylde.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Man oh man I'm in the mood for some meat right about now, so much so that I don't even care how implicitly gay this sentence is.

Reply With Quote
  #325  
Old 2007-06-20, 00:29
Requiem Requiem is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: terra firma
Posts: 6,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7-string warlord
I don't think Laiho is over rated...I just don't think he deserves any credit after Are You Dead Yet? I still think Dime was really good too, the only reason he gets more attention than Chuck (who kicks his ass) is because he was in a band that was ,commercially, more successful. The only person I can think of who is over rated is zakk wylde.


I agree on you with Alexi. Children of Bodom's last album was Are you Dead Yet? So why doesn't he deserve any credit after that. Their next album could be good, hopefully better than the last. Chuck is definitely under rated by those who do know of him. And the ones that do love him because he is amazing. Zakk Wylde is garbage, Randy Rhodes was better.
Reply With Quote
  #326  
Old 2007-06-20, 00:43
7-string warlord's Avatar
7-string warlord 7-string warlord is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Emory, Texas
Posts: 1,280
Yeah, I guess your right about the new Bodom album being better. I've read in an interview with the drummer the new material is thrashy and hypocricy-ish. So maybe Laiho can redeem himself!...although his solo's aren't particularly bad on Are You Dead Yet? So I guess that shouldn't have counted against him in the first place!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Man oh man I'm in the mood for some meat right about now, so much so that I don't even care how implicitly gay this sentence is.

Reply With Quote
  #327  
Old 2007-06-20, 13:19
ulrichmc's Avatar
ulrichmc ulrichmc is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washburn, IL
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
...so the best thing Metallica ever did was dump the fucker and get Kirk on board.


Yeah, that's right up there with hiring Bob Rock to produce.

Seriously though, the best thing Metallica ever did was convince Cliff Burton to join.
__________________
Like a drug it feeds the imagination of minds that go unparalyzed
Followers to the leaders of mass hypnotic corruption
That live their lives only to criticize
Where is the invisible line that we must draw to create individual thought?

Reply With Quote
  #328  
Old 2007-06-21, 02:58
johnmansley's Avatar
johnmansley johnmansley is offline
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Liverpool, England
Posts: 5,975
Send a message via MSN to johnmansley
So you're saying that Kirk Hammet was just as bad an influence on Metallica as Bob Rock? Now I know you're full of shit, or at least half full; can't argue with the Cliff comment.
__________________
Album of the day:

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn
Reply With Quote
  #329  
Old 2007-06-21, 13:48
ulrichmc's Avatar
ulrichmc ulrichmc is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washburn, IL
Posts: 115
lol that Bob Rock comment was a joke. Honestly I don't dislike Hammet, I just think he is very overrated. And I'm glad Metallica got rid of Mustaine, otherwise there would be no Megadeth, but I disagree that it was a smart move by James and the crew.
__________________
Like a drug it feeds the imagination of minds that go unparalyzed
Followers to the leaders of mass hypnotic corruption
That live their lives only to criticize
Where is the invisible line that we must draw to create individual thought?

Reply With Quote
  #330  
Old 2007-06-23, 01:12
CuddlyScamp's Avatar
CuddlyScamp CuddlyScamp is offline
Metalhead
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrichmc
Yeah, that's right up there with hiring Bob Rock to produce.

Seriously though, the best thing Metallica ever did was convince Cliff Burton to join.

It's a crying shame that Lars didn't die in that bus accident, cause Cliff wouldn't have let them do the shiT they did without him!!!
Reply With Quote
  #331  
Old 2007-06-23, 07:04
\m/Eat At Joe's\m/'s Avatar
\m/Eat At Joe's\m/ \m/Eat At Joe's\m/ is offline
Metalhead
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: between the viaducts of your dreams
Posts: 98
Hetfield also wrote the first solo in master of puppets (which i actually prefer to Kirk's).
I don't think Kirk Hammet is overrated at all, at least not in the 80's. His lead playing was memorable, fitted the song, and maybe he wasn't super technical but he could definitely play and wrote very good, emotionally charged solos,and developed considerably up to AJFA. As far as song writing goes i think Hetfield was just as good as Mustaine, but in a different way. Metallica, as i see it, were more epic and emotional, Megadeth more technical and "sneering" in their attitude(not a bad thing).Both are great, Hetfield is no slouch for the sorts of leads he used to do, either. I think he's a lot more versatile than what he gets credited for.
I was watching the 1991 live shit disc. Lars was surprisingly good!! Double kick a trifle unsteady, but i doubt i could do better....
As far as that whole "cliff wouldn't have let metallica be shit", well, he was into REM before he died, and was into progressing....I do not think they are changing so much for the money. They are rich already. They are obviously intelligent, and talented, guys. They have always been unafraid to progress. when they did fade to black people went "SELLOUT!!!" because it wasn't pure thrash style, but they didn't care (metallica always aspired to more epic visions than thrash, in my opinion), they did what they felt was right. By all accounts, they still do. Granted, i'm not going to say that Load and Reload were great "metallica" albums. but viewed as plain bluesy rock, they were great! they did have some of that tritone/palm mute thing in parts as well.
I think it's important to view their albums in a fresh way, not based on what they have done previously, because they change so much with each. I was not a major St Anger fan, but I respect that. I think it was in fact NOT trendy at the time. The production was terrible, the vocals were out of tune, the album was actually too heavy to be trendy (yes, it was quite heavy in my opinion). But it's important to stay current too. Granted, good music never ages, but you can't be stuck in 1986 either. I think metallica realise that .

If I sound like a fanboy, I'm only stating my opinion. I welcome your arguments to the contrary. Cheers.
Reply With Quote
  #332  
Old 2007-06-23, 16:37
ulrichmc's Avatar
ulrichmc ulrichmc is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washburn, IL
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by \m/Eat At Joe's\m/
As far as song writing goes i think Hetfield was just as good as Mustaine, but in a different way. Metallica, as i see it, were more epic and emotional, Megadeth more technical and "sneering" in their attitude(not a bad thing).Both are great, Hetfield is no slouch for the sorts of leads he used to do, either. I think he's a lot more versatile than what he gets credited for.

I agree.
Quote:
As far as that whole "cliff wouldn't have let metallica be shit", well, he was into REM before he died, and was into progressing....
So because he enjoyed listening to something other than metal, you think he would have eventually changed Metallica's style (rather than, say, have a side project to release music of other styles)? I seriously doubt it. Also, trend-hopping and progressing are two entirely different things.
Quote:
I do not think they are changing so much for the money. They are rich already.
I can't imagine any rich man being so greedy as to want more wealth, even at the cost of his integrity. Oh, wait...
Quote:
I was not a major St Anger fan, but I respect that. I think it was in fact NOT trendy at the time. The production was terrible, the vocals were out of tune, the album was actually too heavy to be trendy (yes, it was quite heavy in my opinion).
Trendy? No, though I do think this was Metallica's try at nu-metal. I agree about the terrible production and vocals, but you forgot to mention that it sounds like Lars is beating on a couple of tin garbage cans.
Quote:
But it's important to stay current too.
My response to that is, well, as you said "good music never ages."
Quote:
but you can't be stuck in 1986 either. I think metallica realise that .
So rather than stay true to one's roots, you should adapt your style to fit in to the now? Sounds like trend-hopping to me. I don't have a problem with progress. It's important to progress as musicians and as songwriters, but that should involve refining one's style, and possibly extending it, but not flat out overhauling it.
__________________
Like a drug it feeds the imagination of minds that go unparalyzed
Followers to the leaders of mass hypnotic corruption
That live their lives only to criticize
Where is the invisible line that we must draw to create individual thought?

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25.


========

Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer
Copyright © 2001-2009 MetalTabs.com. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.