Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording
User Name
Password

Old 2007-01-13, 12:57
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
Those volume boxes are a gimmick. They're just line-level controllers, no different than putting an EQ in your amp's effects loop and bogging down the level control. They DON'T make your powertubes saturate to get nice sounds at low volumes, you're going to get the same sounds by simply using your master volume knob. What you do need for that is a genuine power attenuator such as:

Koch LB120
THD Hotplate
Weber MASS(I particularily reccomend this one because they actually use a real speaker motor inside instead of a bunch of transistors, so the sound that comes out of it sounds natural and not harsh or artificial like with all other transistor based attenuators when you push them a lot(the THD gets grainy when you crank your amp too much).

So you got fooled. You could still use that volume box in front of your amp as a boost though, give that a try.

Well, thanks for the info man. As you can see, I don't know much about this stuff. I guess I will sell it back on ebay. You know, it's funny that in all his feedback, everyone says they like the volume box. Little do they know..

Last edited by underaserpentsun : 2007-01-13 at 13:00.
Old 2007-01-13, 15:03
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to Valtiel Send a message via MSN to Valtiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
The MASS responds like a real speaker(it has a speaker cone "motor" inside) so the sound coming out of the thing sounds far more realistic than with other attenuators which are basically just a slew of capacitors. If you crank the amp enough into a THD or maybe even that Dr.Z it will begin to suck tone because the amp's speaker out is supposed to interact with a real speaker not capacitors...

But the mcdaddy of all attenuators is probably the Palmer PGI-03. Rack attenuator with the most advanced speaker simulation out there. It works wonders apparently. I may get the PDI-09(speaker sim DI box but with no load).

Thats the thing, the DR.Z dosent use a system of capacitors and resistors, it just simply sends part of the signal to ground, meaning there is zero effect on the orignal tone.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut
Old 2007-01-13, 15:32
Post-whore

Send a message via MSN to the_bleeding
my guitar teacher checked out a whole bunch of attenuators, and said in his experience, the marshall powerbreak was the best sounding, and mind you, my guitar teach is 50, and has been playing for 35 years.... Good luck finding one for a reasonable price though, its list price is like 800$.

I'm not sure how it works though, anybody have any idea? All i know is it can have about 30db of attenuation, or act as a dummy load, stereo outputs/inputs, and can be set to 8 or 16 ohms...
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!
Old 2007-01-13, 15:59
Post-whore

Read a bunch of Marshall Powerbreak(they're cheap 2nd hand) reviews, and all the people who had also played a Weber Mass came to realize that the Marshall really sucked tonewise...

It's transistor based like most other attenuators.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)
Old 2007-01-15, 11:51
Post-whore

if i was you, i would get a 100 watt tube amp, because at least if you need that power available, you have it. You can also pull two tubes and give a slight re bias thus bringing the power down to 50. theres only a 10db or so difference between 50 and 100 anyways i think

Sold my shit, now its time to PARTY!!!!!
Old 2007-01-15, 12:07
Post-whore

Send a message via MSN to the_bleeding
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordor
if i was you, i would get a 100 watt tube amp, because at least if you need that power available, you have it. You can also pull two tubes and give a slight re bias thus bringing the power down to 50. theres only a 10db or so difference between 50 and 100 anyways i think

10db means half the noise... and to do that you would have to divide/multiply by 10 for the wattage (100 --> 10 watts)
50 watts is PLENTY loud. And with the 900's (which dont like to break up that quickly), its nice to have that little bit less headroom. Trust me, you'll be running for earplugs for this thing. And with 2 4x12's, you'll have to run it at low impedance, which also increases the headroom a bit... but man... full stack... it will be fuckin sweet.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!
Old 2007-01-15, 12:51
Post-whore

I truly envy people who can run a fullstack at home. Jesus do you live in foam covered houses or something?

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)
Old 2007-01-15, 13:18
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

Send a message via Yahoo to The Doctor
meh it's just bragging during gigs, mwuhahaha.

i bought a half stack and got an extra cab for my graduation, it makes a LOT of fucking noise and it looks cool, but its complete bullshit obviously