MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording
User Name
Password

Old 2005-11-15, 16:54
Post-whore

I have 200 watt randall half stack as a back up. And it keeps up
+-+ .....::::: Alive to Live, Not to Believe....In a God that I cannot see :::::..... +-+
Old 2005-11-15, 16:57
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Banned

Send a message via AIM to John Holland
Now I will commend Randall --- their s.s. amplifiers are superb.
Old 2005-11-15, 17:13
Post-whore

Send a message via MSN to k13m
i used to play a 160 wats ss poweramp, and a marshall preamp, it just did the job with a drumer, although most 50 or 60 watt tube heads blow me away like a tornado

< no wonder hes mad!!
Old 2005-11-15, 17:52
Supreme Metalhead

Its not that I believe Behringer are best, I was just giving suggestions for decent cheap equipment. I use marshall mode four and peavy triple x most of the time.

Presonus Firepod - $425 shipped
Gator 4 Space Rack Case - $75 shipped
Rackmount Tuner - $75 shipped
Pacific Drum Works 5000 Double Bass Pedal - $175 shipped
Old 2005-11-16, 03:08
Senior Metalhead

As I already said, our other guitarist is using this 100 Watt Fender combo, and the master volume is always at 3-4...and it really is loud enough! Is your drummer louder than mine?

I just asked my guitar teacher ( who is one of the best guitarists here in austria) about this amp stuff. He said that 100 Watt are more than enough and amps with about 300 watt just arent necessary.
Especially not for a concert, since everything is running over the PA there.

Seriously, I dont know who of u guys is right now! Everyone is telling me something different.

My teacher told me also that one of the best guitarists he personally knows is using a small combo with about 50-80 Watt and he is playing really big concerts. Maybe this amp stuff is just hyped and when it comes to really brutal distortion you wonīt hear that much difference anyway I think. If the PA sucks, the sound will be shitty, no matter if you have a 100 watt amp or a 300 watt mesa boogie one.
Old 2005-11-16, 05:57
Post-whore

let me get this straight. You play in a tech death metal with a 100 watt fender in the same room ? What kind of a fender is it ?
+-+ .....::::: Alive to Live, Not to Believe....In a God that I cannot see :::::..... +-+
Old 2005-11-16, 09:53
Senior Metalhead

You donīt need the best equipment to play technical stuff...
Old 2005-11-16, 12:36
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helvete
You donīt need the best equipment to play technical stuff...

you don't need the best equipment to play anything. but you're totally missing the point. it's a fender, fender makes some shit amps, and some great amps. but most fender amps are CLEAN amps... and you say you play technical death metal. he wants to know what amp it is.

anyways... as far as wattage goes. 100w s.s. might be enough for you volumewise(must have a soft handed drummer)... but that still means jack shit. you really need to think, HOW DOES IT SOUND?

alot of amps are 100w, some are shit and some are not. an amp is not simply a box of watts. it's something that shapes your sound. i have three amps, all are 100w, does that mean that mg100 is just as good? don't kid yourself.

i'm doubting your teachers understanding of how wattage relates to volume and if he understands the difference between a tube amp and a s.s. amp. being a great guitarist has nothing to do really with knowledge of gear.

the actual volume difference between a 300w head and a 100w head is maybe like 3 to 4db, and as i said before, it's a headroom issue. being able to turn a 300w head up and be as loud as the 100w head, but without the shitty poweramp distortion.
now if we were talking tube amps, headroom may not be an issue, and that's where the 50-80w combo can come in. because tubes breakup in a much more musical way.that's why alot of people will by a 50w tube head instead of something else. they want the breakup.

for concerts, some places mic you, some places don't. you're playing the local stadium? definately a mic... you're playing at the bar & grill down the street? maybe not.

not to mention, band practice. not all bands have huge PA's in there bandrooms. you need to make sure your amp is loud enough for that.

yet in the end, still.... how does it sound?
Old 2005-11-16, 12:38
Supreme Metalhead

But hes just saying that fender doesn't have the greatest distortions usually. Mostly they're known for their cleans. Aside from the Metalhead because we all know that that thing is freakin' br00tal
Old 2005-11-16, 12:41
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpYou
But hes just saying that fender doesn't have the greatest distortions usually. Mostly they're known for their cleans. Aside from the Metalhead because we all know that that thing is freakin' br00tal

Yeah I know, those metalheads rule
Old 2005-11-16, 13:01
Supreme Metalhead

If they had effects they'd almost be as brutal as the Spider II. And thats pretty hard to do ya know I wanna go into a store now and turn everything up to 10 on that thing and try turning all the effects on. that'd be so freakin awesome. I think I might actually shit a little in the presence of such br0000tality