Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone
User Name
Password

Old 2005-09-21, 09:57
Vaginal Warts

Send a message via AIM to JoeYngVai
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathCS
i still doubt that. I mean unless you dont sleep at all..

Hey, I bet John Holland is just a really dedicated player.

WOW Holland, I think I'm gonna up my hours a bit. I'll tell you when I catch up. Until then, good luck!(to both of us)

So I have to beat my longest play time by about 7 hours... not too bad...

Blackwater (Friend's Metal Band)
MY WEBSITE!

R.I.P Paddy. My dear and loving father will never be forgotten.
Old 2005-09-21, 10:51
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via MSN to ImBored
2, maybe three hours, max. Most of its fragmented, too. Bad habits, but, Im happy with my playing so far. Most of its infront of the TV (which is like, what your not meant to do?) That, or im figuring something out, or trying to write. The days when Im hit with the creativity I might practice a little more. But none of it is strictly practicing...Its just playing and working on stuff I already know, really. Im not one for sitting down for hours on end just learning one arpeggio (Went through that phase at christmas. Still cant play the fucker, so I cant be bothered.)
Old 2005-09-21, 13:37
CoreyB

2 hours on electric guitar

warmup for 20 minutes.
cover a death song of choice - work on nailing the rhythm of the desired song
fool around for about 30 minutes, just rockin out gettin my groove
play scales in clean and work on technique

1 Hour on classical

play, and use good technique
work through 5-10 pages in my workbook for my class

30 minutes reading literature

reading a few books or magazines or website clips on guitars, amps, and getting great sounds, playing styles, appreciation, etc...

i've only been playing for a year and a half now, and i'm doing excellent. everyone that i play with i can keep up with if not surpass. I think that my desire sets me apart from a lot of other people around here. I might not understand song writing structure or anything yet, but I can definately cover anything i set my mind to. In about 6 more months I am going to work more on implementation of scales and mode structures and try to tab or create music.
Old 2005-09-21, 16:57
Wasted Custom User title

Send a message via AIM to DeathCS Send a message via MSN to DeathCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeYngVai

WOW Holland, I think I'm gonna up my hours a bit. I'll tell you when I catch up. Until then, good luck!(to both of us)

i'm sure he is, but 12 hours is pretty absurd, seeing how he has a job, and usually the body needs sleep.
Old 2005-09-21, 17:08
Senior Metalhead

Practice..?
Old 2005-10-21, 22:25
Metalhead

i practice everyday on my electric at least for an hour take a break then go for another hour, it's good fun, then maybe play acoustic for a couple of hours, if i'm not too busy or tired after the day ends
Old 2005-10-28, 14:50
Senior Metalhead

No less than 7 hours. I wake up at 5 30 and do an 1 and a half before school, 3 hours when i get home, then dinner, then i work out, then i finish the night out with it. I scheduled study halls in school so i always do homework then.

And for John Holland,

I believe you may practice 12 hours but i only have two questions.

Where are you in life, are you a student, or out of college and have a job? In the summer, i can totally believe it, but you do realize that you are giving yourself about 3 hours of freetime. I find it hard to believe you can accomplish this with school and/or work, considering both of these things take more than 3 hours to do.
Steve Vai does it cause he was going to Berklee and now his lifes music so he can. I dont know this guy, but if you have a job or school (thats not a music school) then i dont care what you say. . .Bullshit.

And most importantly, what do you do when you practice? If you watch tv while your doing it, that hardly counts. I bet that 2 hour of concentrated practice beats 5 hours of 'ok' practice. Gauranteed.

Now im not saying this is you, but if it is, your 12 hour days are meaningless. Especially if your just learning other peoples songs. If you spend 12 hours doing nothing but learn songs by your favorite bands then thats even more meaningless. And its great if your writing songs, but if your practicing that much and being that dedicated but not putting nothing towards say knowledge, ear training, sight reading, etc. then again, meaningless.

Note: (When i say meaningless, i meant for your journey to becoming a TRULY good guitarist, as i imagine one would be striving for when putting forth 12 hours of their life towards the instrument leaving 3 hours a day for other things such as a job to finance ones guitar needs, shelter, and food)

So in short, just how the hell are you exactly practicing that much?
Old 2005-10-28, 17:13
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to Shreddist Send a message via MSN to Shreddist Send a message via Yahoo to Shreddist
6 hours on weekdays, 12 on weekends, and all day on sick days
Old 2005-10-28, 17:18
The Man Who Is, MGI.

Send a message via MSN to Robbie Filth
I practise alot most days i probaly play for only about 3 hours a day depends on the situation but i don practise alot 3 hours doesnt sound much compared to some people here but i probaly do play more i just don't time how long i play for.......
Old 2005-10-31, 21:06
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holland
I practice 12 hours daily.

How are you able to accomplish this routine with work/school? For me to accomplish 7 hours, thats if im lucky enough to not have homework and chores.
Old 2005-10-31, 21:53
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to IlikeRiffseveryone Send a message via MSN to IlikeRiffseveryone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeYngVai

mines 14 :P

but lately with school only like 2-3
yes its a gay project, and no im not in special needs class.
Old 2005-10-31, 22:08
Post-whore

Fuck I don't have a lot of time to practice nowadays, except on weekend mornings but since I wake up at like 1 pm and work at 4 pm, I don't have a lot of time to practice between that. I usually avoid homework for a while on weekdays to practice lol. I'm going to beg my boss to let me work in the morning on weekends so I'll get home at 4 instead of 11, and so I can practice until I pass out.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)
Old 2005-11-01, 09:04
New Blood

I usually practice 3 hours a day after school and then have to do homework But besides that I try to fit in some more after homework.
Old 2005-11-01, 17:02
Post-whore

now days, about 4-5 big change from what i used to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by User01
ibut i wouldnt get any help at a slipknot board, theyre struggling with palm muting!