View Single Post
Old 2012-03-25, 17:35
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

That basket grass is grated parmigiano - I'm fairly certain that you, along with everybody else in the world, like Parmesan cheese.

I think you're both missing the point: a blini is basically a delicious, crispy, tiny pancake. The recipe is for a crispy little pancake covered with the sort of creamy, cheesy things almost everybody likes, and maybe a small kick of spice. You're kidding yourself if you don't think you'd gobble them down like the well-worn, gnawed-upon pink plastic dildo you keep hidden underneath tax papers in your desk and think we don't all know about, but we do, kid, we do. And I don't think a Cuisinart and a cast-iron pan are exactly outlandish cooking utensils, or unreasonable ones to have.

It seems like a lot of food writing lately has been dedicated to attempting to demystify the process, and it's a shame to see it's backfired so far - the whole point of the blog is that even somebody who spent his entire teens and twenties eating beef jerky and beating himself up with a guitar can make some good food if he puts a little effort into it.

Even Paddy could whip up blini really easily, and he doesn't realize it, not merely because he's a pox-addled, benighted and mentally deficient gingypants, but because he's never gotten the memo: cooking is easy. Fun, also. Maybe not Michelin-star stuff, but that's not really what we're talking about. With very few exceptions, everything you read in that blog is something you could make yourself, if you had the inclination. And don't pretend you don't want a mouthful of Ben Grimm's testes.