Thread: Recording piano
View Single Post
Old 2011-11-04, 16:01
Quantum.

Recording piano

I'm recording a song I wrote for piano a few years back. I'm having a bit of trouble with it, as the dynamics and register vary so much; in particular there's a part that's ff to fff in the lower registers and, well, it comes out pretty much as a garbled mess with a bit of a melody to it.

Now, I don't have a very sophisticated setup at all, just a keyboard -> Alto PBM8.250 (Mk II) mixer board -> basic, standard mac Garage band. But I still think you should be able to get something decent out of it; I actually think the results are pretty good for most of the song. So yea, I'm fiddling around with frequencies, feedback terminators, compressors, output volume at various stages, recording volume, what-have-you. I really just wanted to ask if anyone here has some advice off the top of their head about what might be a good way to think about this? Or if someone has some experience of this particular type of problem?

I am considering chopping up the recording and doing this part separately, but that still leaves the question of how to get some decent sound on it.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein