View Single Post
Old 2011-09-23, 17:17
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Send a message via AIM to Chris Rezendes
Around the time the IX came out, the local hard rock station had a metal show during the wee hours of Saturday night/Sunday morning. I used to stay up and record it to help me find new bands. One week they played Curse You All Men!, which I immediately loved. A few weeks later, they played The Source of Icon E, which I loved even more. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to actually check their shit out until years later when I got my own computer and the interwebs.

I used to love going through those old tapes, though. I also discovered Deicide, Cannibal Corpse, Helloween, and a bunch of others this way. I also use to rummage through the cassette collection of a local junk dealer and just go in blind on anything that looked heavy. I pulled up a lot of great shit like Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax, Metallica, Exodus, Fates Warning, Nuclear Assault, Sepultura, Nasty Savage and more, but also got stuck with a lot of hair metal and generally weak stuff. Those were the only two ways I had to find metal bands back then.