Thread: Question
View Single Post
Old 2011-05-27, 05:54
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dystopia
I am trying to master finger picking style (no pick) on acoustic guitar and electric bass (5 string, just so y'all know). I don't mind this thread blah blah blah being used by anyone else who finds the information helpful.

Finger picking style of Alex Webster and the guy from Necrophagist are my goals.

I was wondering if there's any particular pattern or technique I am supposed to follow (of course there is, WTF is it or what's the formula?!?).

What I have LEARNED (but am not sticking to until I get more info/opinions) is the your thumb, 1st, 2nd and 3rd fingers are used, but in the order (w your fingers, thumb first) is 3rd, 2nd, and 1st in that order because apparently its faster than start withing your index and starting over from your ring finger.

Even if I stick to this, I'm not sure where and when to add the thumbs, and on which strings/depending on how many notes/strings are played.

This is something basic I copied from my guitar playing onto my bass, using all 5 strings.
(BEADG) or in tab form
G
D
A
E
B
... Yeah, I think everyone here can read tab...

- - - - - - 5 - 8 p 5 - - - - - -
- - - - - 6 - - - - - 6 - - - - -
- - - - 7 - - - - - - - 7 - - - -
- - - 7 - - - - - - - - - 7 - - -
h 8 - - - - - - - - - - - 8 - 5

and repeat

I would especially like to know the proper (right hand) fingerings on this particular sweep, please.

And I promise to stop posting shitty threads.

How many people here play fast and technical metal bass with their fingers?

Alex has a vid on youtube about this verything , I forget the tittle its like alex webster lessons or something any way just type in alex webster its one of the top 3 or that pop up , ive been working on the same thing he uses all 4 fretting fingers and 3-4 picking fingers ,thats how he does it so fast.