View Single Post
Old 2010-12-10, 06:45
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to make a basic yet tasty soup? I make chicken and sweetcorn soup a lot, but it usually tastes like there's something missing; like it's "hollow". Chicken stock cubes and soy sauce can only achieve so much!

I'm thinking maybe a little garlic, but I don't know if it'd work and I'm not made of chicken fillets. I don't have any fresh herbs or other leafy stuff, save for scallions which I snip with scissors into the bowl for each serving (fucking yummy). When I make the soup here's what I do:

Fry up the onions and carrots with a little sugar, add chopped chicken breasts, then add peppers, peas, broad beans, and basically anything that happens to be laying around. I add a stock cube and melt it in and mix it up, then add some salt. When the onions look like they're browning up I add a can of sweetcorn, including the sugar water they're packaged in. Then I add boiling water from the kettle. I leave it to cook on a medium-ish heat until...well, whenever it's edible.

I made this soup a couple of months back and it was fucking delicious, but I haven't been able to nail it since. I think I let the first batch cook gently on a low heat for the better part of two hours, which might have something to do with it, but I'm not sure.