View Single Post
Old 2010-12-07, 18:44
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by wapbamboo
It is entirely dependent on how you do your inhales. I used to do nothing but inhales when I first started listening to slamming music. It hurt at first, but I got the technique down so that I wasn't damaging my throat at all. Recently, I've picked up doing exhales. Going from inhale to exhale wasnt all that bad for me, but trying to do an inhale after an exhale was extremely difficult. It really just takes some practice, and motivation for that matter (see: your point 4), to be able to do exhales and inhales in a song with them both sounding great and not hurting your throat.

This! The exhale squeal is a technique that I've loved ever since I first heard the Doom EP (dont hate)

I'm guilty of throwing inhales over a time signature that I couldn't come up with a decent exhale pattern over (didnt really use lyrics for the inhales...it doesnt sound near as good as it would have with exhales, and i could change that if i was better at making vocal patterns) but I think that inhales can be done correctly and not get you laughed at. Despised Icon has used them pretty decently along with their exhales and it sounds good, I think.

Oh yeah bro don't get me wrong, I use them too, just very conservatively. I'm careful with the placement. Usually I only use them when I want very shrieking pig squeals. Don't get me wrong, I'm not like anti-inhale or something, I just personally really prefer exhales for a multitude of reasons.
"We talk about civilization as though it's a static state. There are no civilized people yet, it's a process that's constantly going on... As long as you have war, police, prisons, crime, you are in the early stages of civilization." ~Jacque Fresco