View Single Post
Old 2009-06-06, 08:40
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzimisce
...But you overlook one simple fact - Jonas Bryssling himself has stated that his writing bears little, if any, actual death metal influence. You can look that one up for yourself, if you don't believe me. But even that is beside the point.

Yes, evolution is a fact of life. But at what point do you draw the line, and say 'okay, this is where a band ceases to be death metal'? Suppose SoP released an album that consisted of clean guitars with DM style vocals... what would you call that [besides absurd]? The fact is, death metal has ALWAYS been identified by its brutality. Any band that sacrifices abrasiveness and heaviness for clarity in its guitar tone is forfeiting its identity as a death metal band.

I've actually seen that quote, but that doesn't change the fact that the way it's written and played more than easily allows it to fit into Death Metal. I find it more intriguing, and for the best that Noctambulant has little Death Metal influence. If anyone's actually listened, you can hear that alot of the music on that album sounds like a fucked up atonal fugue, and it certainly appeals to me.

And Suppose Christina Aguilera released an album utilizing harsh growls, down-tuned, distortion saturated guitars, and heavily dissonant riffage - At what point does it cease to be pop music? At what point has she left the sacred confines of pop, and with complete reckless abandon, entered the realms of Death Metal? Seriously man, do you really want to start throwing around hypotheticals to prove a point that does nothing more than promote some religious passage of rites into the corridors of Death Metal?

I'm going to tell you this, if you make good music, I don't give a fuck what you call it, as long as I can find it. To add to that, I prefer clarity - If you write music which contains a myriad of intricate details, and I can't make it out, then all you've accomplished doing is writing complex inaudible sludge, with fucking growls over it. If that's what you want, have at it man. There's loads to choose from, but please don't start micro-managing the genre like it's a divine chalice sent up from Belial that just can't afford to be washed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthDevoid
Not to but into your guys argument, but dude, if you don't think SoP is death metal, then something is obviously wrong with you. They might not be 'brutal' death metal, as you define it, but they most certainly fit the death metal genre and for you to claim otherwise baffles me.

I'm hoping that this argument is over. He has his opinion, and I have mine.

Also, thanks John, I couldn't have stated that more eloquently myself.