View Single Post
Old 2008-10-30, 08:57
New Blood

Good guitar to buy my boyfriend?

Hi,

I've come here looking for some advice about what guitar to get my boyfriend for christmas. He loves metal, especially death metal and is the vocalist in a band called Sons of Slaughter. He played bass a bit before but said he'd like to learn guitar. With christmas coming up I thought it'd be cool to get him one as a present however there's a LOT of guitars out there and I'm not going to pretend I know anything about them!!

As he's a beginner (and as I'm poor - I've got him Metallica tickets for his birthday which is 10 days before christmas) I don't want to spend loads but I don't want to get him something crappy either as he'll be using it for a couple of years. I think 300 is my top limit but bearing in mind i'll need to get him an amp and some other stuff too, I'd prefer to spend a bit less.

I've looked at Ibanez, ESP, Dean and Schecter but as I say, there's a lot to choose from. Going by looks, Schecter is favorite so far, but hey, looks aren't everything!

If musical preference plays a part in what to get, here's some of the bands he likes:

Nile, Pantera, Dimmu Borgir, Opeth, Slayer, Megadeth, In Flames, Cannibal Corpse, Corrosion of Conformity...it goes on but i can't remember even some of them.

Anyway, if anyone would care to make some suggestions, id be forever grateful!!