View Single Post
Old 2008-05-18, 18:36
Slayer of dumb cunts

Send a message via AIM to tmfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalThrashingMad
Holy shit Davy you make things seem so obvious The extent of my knowledge of music theory is amateur at best

To be honest it seems most peoples are. (i'm not discluding myself)

I've noticed Davy definitely knows his shit.

I've got into it recently and next semester i'm signed up for a Jazz Improv class. (its a theory class not a performance class) While taking this class i plan to definitely solidify the stuff i've been learning and hopefully more.

To me it seems that when you work on music theory you have to learn alot more than just your "instrument" and or normal "scope" of music playing. Basically i'm refering to chords, scales, and progressions. Basically everything that composes music.

For the longest time I have stuck to things i inherently found to be good sounding (chord progressions), basic triad chords and the basics of keys. Alot of this seems overwhelming and it may be to some people but i think after working on these concepts and topics they seem to come "second nature" and make alot of good sense for PRACTICAL application. This is something that I didn't really believe was going to happen from studying theory.

Another really positive thing about STUDYING theory is it forces you to PRACTICE your instrument. Not playing your instrument but actually practicing, therefore making you better at it, and not just at composing or improv soloing.
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...