View Single Post
Old 2008-05-15, 23:15
Metal As Fuck!

Send a message via MSN to davie_gravy Send a message via Yahoo to davie_gravy
When I say follow the chord, I'm basically saying that while your overall progression doesn't have to adhere to a strict key, the chord does. Meaning, each chord you play has a unique set of notes or scale to play over. This is obviously changing as the chord changes. So an example like Am - F - E I could deduce that C major is the key and see Am would give me Aeolian, but Dorian would work just as well and A Dorian is actually the key of G major. Now if I were to play a Am with a major 6th in there which is a Am6 then Dorian is the only one that will work because a flattened 6th of A Aeolian will sound sour over that chord. Same with that F...Fmaj I can play F Ionian, F Lydian, or F Mixolydian over it, but if I play a F7, then I need to play F Mixo over it because it contains the flattened 7th and Ionian and Lydian don't contain that note. Likewise if I play a Fmaj7, I can play Ionian or Lydian but not Mixo (because Mixo contains the flattened 7th, not a major 7th), but if I play a Fmaj7#11, then I must play Lydian because that perfect 4th in Ionian will sound sour over it. That's following the chord... playing a unique scale for each chord in your progression while your overall progression doesn't necessarily have to follow a certain key.

BuildTheMusic.com is your #1 FREE online guitar resource center.