View Single Post
Old 2008-05-15, 04:28
Metal As Fuck!

Send a message via MSN to davie_gravy Send a message via Yahoo to davie_gravy
If you make your own progression, the key would be to follow the chord especially if your chords are extended chords (Am7, Cmaj7add9). For example, A Cmaj7 chord is 1 - 3 - 5 - 7 so C Ionian and C Lydian would work well over this chord because both modes contain that arpeggio, but if it was a Cmaj7#11 then C Lydian would be the best choice because Lydian contains the #4 (#11) and the major scale doesn't. Suspended chords are a little different because they don't contain a 3rd so if you were to play a Csus4 chord, which is 1 - 4 - 5, then C Mixolydian would all work well because a sus chord is basically a dominant chord (why we use the Mixo mode) with the 3rd suspended. So to summarize, yes all chords are basically some base chord. The changes (added notes/notes removed) from the chord change the overall properties of the chord which allow for different scales or pieces of scales to work well with em. Alot of times, I'll just break down a chord into the individual notes and basically make a scale out of the contained notes.

BuildTheMusic.com is your #1 FREE online guitar resource center.