View Single Post
Old 2008-02-07, 21:31
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfsd
I will explain why they don't exsist simply by reminding everyone what a time signature is........the top number tells us how many beats there are in a measure...the bottom number tells us what type of note gets a count of "one". as an example, alternating bars of 11/8 & 13/8 is possible because the bottom number tells us that an eighth note counts as one beat......alternating bars of 11/9 & 13/9 are not possible because there is no ninth note.......hope this helps

steve

Ok yes I know I just joined but somehow I ended up here and saw you talking about metric modulation, something I am very familiar with and then I saw you talking about odd denominators in time signatures, also something I am familiar with. It IS actually possible, and the way pretty much everyone has ever looked at time signatures is that the top number is the number of beats in a bar and the bottom number is the note that gets one beat. BUT there's a much MUCH simpler way of looking at it. Take a bar of 4/4 (start off simple) and we use the whole note, being the longest possible note because it is 'whole'. Now why do they call it 'whole' if the quarter in regular 4/4 gets one beat. Well because if you've noticed the whole note gets the WHOLE number of beats of the denominator. In 4/4 a whole note gets 4 beats (you get the idea, I'll stop bolding). 8/8 a whole gets 8 beats and in cut time (2/2 in case you don't know it) a whole note gets 2 beats. So let's use a common odd time signature (Yay for oximorons) with a odd denominator like 9/7. In this case the whole note gets 7 beats, the half 3.5, a quarter 1.75 and so on. Basically like Amerok said, it would be hell to play, because though nearly no one does this (no one who you could go out and buy an album of, only experimental and progressive [really over the top progressive] musicians with no names) but it is often done with drums or any instrument keeping beat in the closest even time signature (9/7, drums get 9/8). So there you have it, 9/7 can exist! Who knew! I know 1.75 beats is awkward sounding but it's just a quarter tied to a dotted eighth but if your good with it you can get some really abstract sounds. That is all, thank-you.

P.S. I know this is long ass but hey, alot to say.
P.S. I also know this is one long ass paragraph too. I'm bad for that.