Thread: Pedal tone
View Single Post
Old 2007-09-28, 04:51
JonR JonR is offline
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 67
A pedant writes...

Davie's link wasn't quite the right one. The technical term for the thing we commonly call pedal tones or pedal notes is "pedal point"
"The term comes from the organ for its ability to sustain a note indefinitely and the tendency for such notes to be played on an organ's pedal keyboard. The pedal keyboard on an organ is played by the feet; as such, the organist can hold down a pedal point for lengthy periods while both hands perform higher-register music on the upper manual keyboards."

Guitarists often do something similar using open strings.
Reply With Quote