View Single Post
Old 2007-08-12, 00:40
Pirate Lawd

Armstrong Bore oil treats a fretboard very good too. A little goes a long way. I've used it for like 10+ years now and I'm still using the same 1.6oz bottle. A tech from Jackson guitars recommended I use it instead of lemon oil back when I owned my old KV-1. The dude was right on about it being one of the best things to treat a fretboard.

I use a micro fiber cloth to clean my strings and guitars every time I play but twice a year I use window cleaner ( on a rag ) to clean the fretboards. It does the best job of cleaning the gunk out of the wood grain but will dry out a rosewood or ebony fretboard within days, due to the ammonia, unless you oil shortly after cleaning.

Once a year, immediately before cleaning and oiling the fretboard, I will polish my frets with 0000 steel wool, but be sure to cover and tape the body of the guitar before you get steel wool near your axe. The magnets in the pickups will attract the small metal dust and slivers from polishing your frets and those metal particles will be impossible to remove once they work into the electronics. That shit will short and ruin the electronics of a guitar. Its just better to use a plastic garbage bag, taping the edge of the bag around the body of a guitar before using steel wool to polish the frets. Then use the window cleaner, and oil before removing the plastic bag very slowly as to not stir up the dust. I actually remove the tape and bag in another room or outside.

I hope this is all clear. I can explain more if need be. Cheers