View Single Post
Old 2007-06-29, 05:25
Metalhead

If I've understood your tab right, here's how I think it should lay out in 4/4 time.
I've shown a line of dots beneath to mark the beats.
Code:
Legend H-Half note Q-Quarter note e- eighth note D- dotted note |----------------|---------------|---------------|----------------|- |----------------|---------------|---------------|----------------|- |----------------|---------------|---------------|----------------|- |----------------|---------------|---------------|----------------|- |-0-----------0--|1-------6------|0-----------0--|1---------------|- |-0-----------0--|1-------6------|0-----------0--|1-------6-6-----| HD Q H H HD Q H e e (X) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
This is assuming, by the way, that your first note (dotted half-note) falls on beat one of the bar - which it looks like it should.
Your last bar is incomplete, because a half note and two 8ths only make 3 beats. "(X)" marks the missing quarter note space. So either you need another quarter note, or a quarter note rest, or you need to make the last note a dotted quarter.
(It's just possible you have a 3/4 bar, but that would only apply if a downbeat fell immediately after that last 8th note, right on the (X). It would feel like a break in the rhythm, a missing beat - not a gap in the rhythm, a 1-beat rest, but a kind of stumbling rhythm. This is pretty unusual in rock, but can occur.)

In notation, you don't need to space notes exactly according to their value (bars with few notes can take less space than bars with lots of notes), but it's obviously clearest if you give long notes more space than short ones; think of a bar divided into 4 beats, and just place the notes roughly where they would occur in time.
Check out some published notation for a guide to what looks right.