Thread: String Gauges
View Single Post
Old 2007-04-17, 17:17
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz906
Yes...that's one of the reasons that I use heavy gauge. More tension. And a fatter sound with a more 'in your face' sound. Just remember that if you do decide to change to heavy gauge, you will notice the strain on your fingers/hands until they get stronger and adapt to the tighter tension, and the skin on your fingers might even hurt a little bit more...mine blistered after the first 4 days, but I developed thicker calluses so it's all good.

Hope you like the new feeling if you do decide to change.

~Cheers

I've had my Guild with the heavies on it (.110 RotoSounds) now for over a week. I had it set up for D standard tuning with passive/active SD Basslines and a Bartolini board.

There is a definite improvement in responsiveness with the heavies over the medium gauge. It doesn't feel near as "slinky" as downtuning medium strings from E. Definitely more tension as you said. Being setup specifically for D is a big help too. I notice the difference in feel but I haven't been blistering. That's because there is still a lack of tension from being tuned down to D. If I had heavies set for 'E' I would definitely feel it.

The sound is fatter too - the open D a real earthshaker!