View Single Post
Old 2007-04-11, 20:38
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PST 88
Beethoven, Vivaldi, and Bach are all in the public domain. It's perfectly fine to pass around transcriptions of their work without getting permission; who would you be getting it from? Just like anybody can publish a copy of a Shakespeare play, or why there are so many TV adaptations of books by long-dead writers.

Ok during these period Pst with Beethoven, Vivaldi, and Bach there were no copyright laws. Back during those times it was actually considered praise if someone stole your music and so forth and used it in one of their pieces. Therefore being so old and no laws existing at the time its perfectly legal, and besides who in hell would the copyrighted work belong to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PST 88
But the real big thing for me is that I know of many cases where a lab that developed a certain drug failed to secure the rights to that drug, because they could not prove in court that their discovery would not have been made by other labs working in their usual way. They'll eventually have to prove that tabs are copies of something, and that's not going to be possible. But until that point they're going to intimidate a lot of small sites.

Its a really different situation. These guys have not failed to get copyright of their work. With the situation you listed it seems to be a company failure for not securing the patent for their hard intellectual work. I mean how can such a discovery be proven that it wasn't mechanically, and intellectually feasible to get the same results in another lab just as good? Thats impossible considering most labs involved in medicine are up to date and have it least decent financing, and commercial support from business.