View Single Post
Old 2007-04-11, 15:25
Slayer of dumb cunts

Send a message via AIM to tmfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vathek
What I was trying to say is that the NMPA seems to be obsessing over – what IMO are – imaginary losses. They seem to be completely oblivious to the fact that a free product creates an artificial demand for said product – a demand that is very likely to vanish as soon as someone comes out with the brilliant idea to impose a price on it.

Yes, it’s would be naive to think that no one will ever choose to download a bunch of tabs for free instead of buying a book (especially when the tabs have been copied directly from the book ! – now that’s lame…), but it’s equally naive to think that every time someone downloads a tab off the net this person would have actually bought it had he/she been forced to choose between 1- paying for it or 2- reserve the money for something else.

I feel exactly the same way regarding P2P and songs; there is just no way I would have paid for every song/tab/book I got for free on the net, and in almost every case I simply wouldn’t have known about the artists and/or wouldn’t have cared at all about them, when now I do. Besides, I find that what I get for free I don’t use much (if at all) – I don't know for the others, but in my case I find that it tends to induce laziness. This is why I do not hesitate to buy something I’m interested in every time I judge that my money is well spent (recently the Emperor and Necrophagist tab books) and when I feel that the artist is well worth encouraging. I paid for it -> I use it; it's that simple.

(I’m also perfectly aware that we can still get tabs from other sites like Powertabs or RoG; this is just not the point - I'm not whining, I swear ! )

Most definitely true and its in my opinion a case of jumping on the bandwagon with anti-piracy. And as i see it all sorts of companies are jumping at "lost profits" from profit that would have by no means been as high as they proclaim. This holds true in movies, games, programs, and especially music. There is still a sizeable loss had that alternative never been created. (piracy as we know it).

This is just a classic battle of things changing and the realization of how important the internet really is. Its not "just the internet" like so many dull whitted people attempt to claim. Whether its a forum or an online store.

If anything, i think people should calm down a little and remember that generally how things should be have a way of working themselves into the way things happen.
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...