View Single Post
Old 2007-03-27, 05:51
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unanything
Anyway, names:

Code:
I - Dorian Natural 7th (AKA Melodic Minor) II - Dorian Flat 2nd (AKA Phrygian Natural 6th?) III - Lydian Augmented (AKA Melodic Major (based on trend of previous scales)) IV - Lydian Dominant V - Aeolian Major (aaah! Betcha never thought of that one! :D, AKA Mixolydian Flat 6th)

Actually, I have seen "Aeolian major" before - or was it "major aeolian"?
Quote:
VI - Locrian Natural 2nd
VII - Locrian Diminished 4th (or Superlocrian)[/CODE]
Or "altered", or "diminished wholetone", as jazz players generally call it.
Quote:
I always thought they should have Aeolian Major, or Hindu, as I for a minor key. Oh well...
But then it wouldn't be a minor key! The only thing that really distinguishes a minor key from major is the b3. Lose that, and you have a major key, or at least a major mode.

"Phrygian natural 6th" is actually a nice scale to use on a phrygian modal chord. Some jazz players would choose it in preference to normal phrygian:

Esusb9 = E phrygian modal chord (E-A-B-D-F) = Dm6/E, or Bm7b5/E
Try 2nd mode D melodic minor: E-F-G-A-B-C#-D-E

To expand the info here...

Lydian dominant is widely used in jazz, on 7#11 (or 9#11 and 13#11) chords. Sometimes known as the "overtone scale" - because of the (false) belief that it corresponds with the notes in the harmonic series of the root. (In fact, mixolydian mode is just as close.)

The altered scale (superlocrian) is also widely used, on altered dom7 chords:
E7#5#9, E7b5b9, E7#5b9, E7b5#9, E7#11b13, etc
- use F melodic minor. 7th mode = E-F-G-Ab(G#)-Bb-C-D-E
Resolves very nicely to A (melodic) minor or A major.

Locrian natural 2 is also quite popular over half-diminished chords:
Bm7b5 = B-D-F-A = ii chord in A minor.
Try D melodic minor; 6th mode = B-C#-D-E-F-G-A-B

Perhaps surprisingly, mixolydian b6 (mode V) is not much used at all.
Eg, in key of A minor, very few jazz players would choose A melodic minor over the E7 chord. This is because of the "avoid notes" - C and A don't sound too good over the E7 chord. The E altered scale, however, has no avoid notes.

(Hey, sorry guys, I forgot this was a metal site... )