View Single Post
Old 2006-12-15, 16:48
Metalhead

I thought I would add another article that came out recently on the same topic of internet freedom/freedom of speech, check it out:

http://www.prisonplanet.com/article...6mccainbill.htm

Just as someone already pointed out here (I think I may have at one point as well), government officials will push the 'sexual predation' aspect of the internet in order to supress certain view points, even when nothing offensive is really going on. And with a bill with the name "Stop the Online Exploitation of Our Children Act", who could vote against that? Who would even bother reading what is contained in the bill, it must be to protect the children right?

"McCain's proposal, called the "Stop the Online Exploitation of Our Children Act," encourages informants to shop website owners to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, who then pass the information on to the relevant police authorities."

"Comment boards for specific articles are extremely popular and also notoriously hard to moderate. Popular articles often receive comments that run into the thousands over the course of time. In many cases, individuals hostile to the writer's argument deliberately leave obscene comments and images simply to sully the reputation of the website owners. Therefore under the terms of this bill, right-wing extremists from a website like Free Republic could effectively terminate a liberal leaning website like Raw Story by the act of posting a single photograph of a naked child. This precedent could be the kiss of death for blogs as we know them and its reverberations would negatively impact the entire Internet."

"In reality, sexual predators have always confined their grooming to live chat rooms, or in the case of Republican pervert Mark Foley, instant messaging and PDA's. Pedophiles are never going to leave a record of their sordid advances on message boards because in most cases, their IP address and location can be obtained immediately from the server log. And as reported by C Net, "Studies by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children show the online sexual solicitation of minors has dropped in the past five years, despite the growth of social-networking services."

"This constitutionally dubious proposal is being made apparently mostly based on fear or political considerations rather than on the facts," warns Kevin Bankston, an attorney with the Electronic Frontier Foundation in San Francisco."

I found it interesting. In speaking of the net, did anyone else here Larry King admit he's never used the internet to Rosanne on his show? It was fairly recent, and very simlar to Ted Stevens' take on what the internet was, which is rediculous ofcourse.

STOP THE HORSESHIT.

"Nothing binds a father and a son more closely than the truth behind the decapitated hooker in the rec room."