Thread: Dodecaphonics
View Single Post
Old 2006-11-21, 15:00
Post-whore

Send a message via MSN to Unanything
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
True, the number of arrangements is irrelevant - just an interesting aside.

OK, now that this is sorted out, it'd be interesting to hear people's views on using dodecaphonics and/or any contemporary examples. I think Anata have used this technique in one or two of their songs.

I've actually never really used the technique to compose. I find it a good technical exercise and a great insight into the workings of melody, but other than that, note-rows seem too systematic for me. I prefer to compose for melody rather than systematic rule. Atonality can be controlled without it, if what is written is truly felt by the composer. I've recently started writing on the piano, and I've worked out proper sheet music.

My band, Transcension's next song wil haev some piano on it.

I like studying music like this, it gives one a universal insight into music. It allows one to listen and analyse anything. And the avant-gardiers have it even better, because they can tolerate anything.

On John's point above, I first came across dodecaphonics in the magazine Guitar Techniques. It was in the Creative Rock section. The note-row they had in the example piece was cool.

Code:
[------------------------] [------------------------] [------------------------] [--4---2-5-1---------------] [----3-------5-2-3---1-----] [2-----------------4---5-2-]

www.garageband.com/tranxnart
www.myspace.com/tranxnart
www.youtube.com/user/Tranxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadude
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!