Thread: Thread On Modes
View Single Post
Old 2006-10-24, 11:19
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangledMortalCoil
thanks again. i have tried all of these methods and they all make sense.. plus more importantly, they work. in fact, davie's suggestion about going back a string and two notes toward the nut just made me realize that this stuff has been right under my nose all along.. a simple powerchord contains a root and a 3rd (and a 5th)
You mean a triad . A powerchord only contains root and 5th.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangledMortalCoil
EDIT: while i like the ease of applying the minor 3rd technique davie mentioned, it sounds different from the result i get when i calculate the 3rds of my riff based on the phrygian mode.. is this because the phrygian mode is relative to a major scale?
Yes. As davie explained, sticking to the same kind of 3rd takes you out of key (or mode). If you want to maintain phrygian mode, all of your harmonies need to come from that scale. As with any major scale mode, 4 of the notes are harmonised with minor 3rds, 3 with major 3rds.

So with E phrygian, it works like this

E -> G = minor 3rd
F -> A = major 3rd
G -> B = major 3rd
A -> C = minor 3rd
B -> D = minor 3rd
C -> E = major 3rd
D -> F = minor 3rd

If you used all minor 3rds, you'd effectively be harmonising E phrygian with G phrygian - you'd have a bi-tonal piece of music! (Might sound cool, but would be very strange...)