View Single Post
Old 2006-10-14, 00:20
New Blood

Dave, this is a kickass thread.

I've actually been exploring this kind of thought for a while. I've been trying to convey a specific feeling in my playing. Buckethead does a lot of this. If you listen to his songs, you'll find that some of them convey a very strong feeling and elicit a strong emotional response, like he can speak through the guitar. Sometimes as an exercise, I look at an object in my room and improvise a tune about it. Or sometimes I will try to convey a very specific feeling through my playing. It is definitely way harder than one would think, but very rewarding when you get it right.

I like to think of the guitar as a method of communication, like a second mouth or something. It's definitely one of the best ways to convey a raw emotion, but doing so is difficult. Even more so when you're writing something on the fly.

Of course, it's still fun to show off and try to use my guitar skills to pick up chicks. I'm still working on a song that makes irrestistibly attracted to me. Progress, however, has been slow.

More and Faster