View Single Post
Old 2006-08-04, 04:32
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to Valtiel Send a message via MSN to Valtiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsonic6string
That has to be the most ridiculous statement ever!!!!! I have small hands and fingers, yet manage to SHRED on a 6-string. If you think hand or finger size has anything to do with ability, you are missing out on technique!!!!!!!!! Try proper hand placement (ie: thumb placed at a 90 degree angle on the middle of the neck) and you'd be amazed!!!! For a perfect example of hand or finger size having NOTHING to do with ability, check out Jean Baudin play the Mario Bros. Theme song on his 11 string bass!!!! (DUMBASS...)

That being said, I would recommend an Ibanez 5-string. Reasonably priced, yet fairly good in quality. You can always upgrade the electronics down the road.

Cheers.

Haha chill, I never said ANYTHING about it effecting technique or ability, just someting to consider when buying a bass, i.e. something with a slimmer neck if he has really small hands. Wouldnt want to to give someone with tiny hands a Warwick. Hand size does matter, given that you obviously play with them, their size will be something to consider.

And yes I know all about Jean Baudin and his extended range insanity. And if the dumbass was directed at me, that wasnt necessary and neither was the technique lesson. Im sorry, its just ive always been a stickler for having everything to do with an instrument, playing or otherwise as flawless as humanly possible.

Quote:
Ah and though they sound good I'm not a big fan of those battery operated pickups, what are they called EMG's? I just know I played with a guitar that had one and it was fun, but then the battery died.....end of fun. What sort of pickups come with the Ibanez basses? This probably doesn't matter a whole lot, but if I can say that pickups on guitar are pretty important, not sure about bass.

Most Ibanez basses come with passive pickups, ones without a battery. Active pickups are pickups that have a preamp built into them to boost their output, making up for the fact that the pickups themselves have much fewer windings of copper (meaning less output) and this preamp is what the battery powers. If you want, i'll explain the basic tonal differences between active and passive pickups if you fell it will help.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut