Thread: Grind
View Single Post
Old 2006-07-16, 23:45
Lo, they do call to me...

Send a message via AIM to MoonRaven Send a message via MSN to MoonRaven Send a message via Yahoo to MoonRaven
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompelledToLacerate
Having fun is one thing. But you usually aren't pushing yourself if you're just having fun. Music is hard work, but it's worth the hard work.

Not just in music, but in other fields too. YOu'll find other people who love what they do but work very hard doing it. Science, Math, English, Visual art, theater, and so on. All of these subjects along with music have oppertunities in them. You can be a scientist, Writer, Teacher, anything, and all of them involve hard work. It all depends on if you feel it is worth all the hard work.

For the longest time, I couldn't decide if I wanted a life in music or visual art, likepainting, drawing, and so on. So I took an AP Studio course which is the hardest art course in my school. Only passed it because the teacher was nice. 6 projects, and I could only finish 3 because I couldn't keep up with everyone. Not because I sucked, but because I was good at observation... a little too good.

Well, anyways, a little into the semester, this lady who graduated from the school, who also helps in creating the artwork for Southpark (yeah, hoo, fuck), explained how it was working in that sort if area. Granted, South Park has some really cheap artwork and graphics, but even so. She explained how her and the people who do that stuff practically stay up all night and work until the Wednsday when the episode airs working on just that one episode. And then they do it again. I think about this, and I just can't see myself working on art all the time like that. And I decided I could do more with music than art.

but anyone who does jobs like that and loves whta they do doesnt feel like its work if they love to do it, its like music theory for example, i love theory, i loved the class, it was hard as all get out, but i had so much fun applying that shit to guitar that it wasnt "work", the same with math, its hard but i have so much fun doing it that it isnt work