View Single Post
Old 2006-05-15, 17:14
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by philkilla
I need to make my own cables...but I'm kinda nervous because I'm not much with a saudering iron.

Where should I start as far as making my own mogami cables and jacks?

BTW, I'm also doing this same mod to my Marshall AVT 50 combo...since I use that the most when I practice...and I found quite a few places where air was escaping actually.

Soldering isn't really hard but it does require a little practice. It's kinda like an art. Doing it correctly just means being fast enough to make the joint neatly and remove the heat. Where most people go wrong is holding the iron to the solder and componants to long and burning everything up into sludge. I'm sure you can find some guides online, but here is my advice.

For all music electronics you will want high silver content flux core electronic solder ( only cost a few dollors more )and at least a 15W soldering iron. You will need a damp sponge to clean the iron tip and maybe some desolding braid if you plan on removing solder from joints at any time. You might also what some gator clamps to help hold things in place while solding and to absorb some of the heat. When first soldering melt a little solder on the tip of the iron to keep it cured even before trying to make a joint. This is called tinning. Do this once every 15 minutes or so while the iron is hot. Do this just before you are about to make a joint but then wipe the tip with the damp spong. It will hiss a bit and wipe the access off the tip. This will keep your iron tip fuctional for much longer.

Before you ever connect wire to metal it is a really good ideal to prep both the wire and the metal by tinning them a bit. To tin a wire, make sure the stands are twisted tight and at the desired shape ( strait, curved, ect ) and hold the tip of the wire to the tip of the hot iron for a few seconds to heat up. With your other hand slowly add solder where the iron and wire touch until you see hot solder wick up the wire stands. Remove the solder and wire at the same time. Your done tinning a wire end. Repeat as desied. This insures that the wire has consistant low resistance and an excellent wire-to-metal solder joining later.

To tin a metal surface, or lets say a 1/4 connector, you first start by making sure your iron tip is tinned and cleaned. Next you put the tip of the hot iron to the metal surface where a solder joint will take place for a few seconds. Then add solder so that a small bead or film forms on the surface. You are done, remove heat quickly. Repeat as desired. This insures good joint-to-metal joining later.

Now to solder. Make sure everything is lined up and staged. Use clamps to hold everything in place. There should be no gap between the wire surface and the tinned metal surface, but make sure you don't end up soldering your clamps in the joint too Bring the iron tip and the solder to the contact at about the same time and add as much solder as need to make a small soild joint. Remove the iron and solder and you done.

Sounds easy but it takes a little practice. Here are some guide lines:

"Bigger the blob ISN'T better the job." In fact, large solder joints act as a resistor instead of a conductor.

The solder joint should have a smooth shiny surface. If it is dull and lumpy then it has been over heated and is now high resistance sludge.

Solder fumes are toxic so have a window open and a fan blowing away from you. Also, Solder is made of lead so wash you damned hands after handling it.

Solder irons got hot enough to burn your house down. It has happened to careless people.

Practice soldering a few times before you tackle making your nice guitar and speaker cables. You can always cut few inches off a cable but a ruined connector, pot, or switch cost to replace.

And my favorate, DO NOT FORGET TO PUT THE CONNECTOR SLEEVE ON THE CABLE BEFORE YOU SOLDER THE JACK, like I do 1/10 connectors. You will have to desolder the jack and do it agian. At least I get my practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philkilla
On top of the speaker cables, I want to make an angled 1/4'' input to the dual disconnects for the single speaker in that combo....gimme some insight dammmmit.

Are you talking about making it so the speaker in you combo amp can also be a cab another amp can plug into?