View Single Post
Old 2006-02-02, 23:38
Post-whore

Wow, that's everything I wanted to hear about the 5150. I'm all about the mids, I never scoop at least one bit. So you would consider the XXX muddier/bassier than the 5150?

The 5150 is more sterile than the XXX, am I right? Even though I love br00tality, I also want to acheive crunchy, not so high gain lively sounds with it as well. Can the 5150 do this?

What kind of music do you play? I'm not an EMG person, I'm not looking for that popular sterile sound really, which made me doubt that the 5150 is what I'm looking for. I still have my doubts about the 5150. For the most part, in most bands' recordings it seems that the distortion has a bit of "noise" or fuzz around it. The best way I can describe it is like if you were listening to an old tape, there's some fuzzy thing around the sound. That's the impression I always get out of 5150's for some reason, but then I go listen to some Decapitated and all is well. I think "post-gain" is the right word, but I'm not sure.

A Marshall JCM900... I've considered that, Hate Eternal and Morbid Angel use them and I like the sound they get from them, but I'm thinking that it's a little over my price range. How much would a JCM900 combo cost used usually? Super clear high gain crunch is what I'm looking for.

The Blue Voodoo's price makes it extremely appealing, but I still don't know what kind of tone they have. All distortion aside, is it middy? Dark? Super trebley? I haven't played that many amps so I can't really describe an amp's sound too well.

Also, what's with these obscure brands like: Soldano, Madison, Splawn, etc.? I wish I could try out so many amps but it seems it might not be possible. Maybe one of these days I'll hop around some trains to some big-ass guitar shops and hope the guys will let me try out an amp or two.

Edit: By the way: In terms of cash, I'll have more than 500 by the time I decide to buy one. I'm just saying 500, but I'll probably throw in $600 into a new bank account, and they promised to give me 75$ if I keep the account, heh. I also plan to add some more to that little saving every month. I probably won't be buying anything until summer time.

So yeah, I don't want to spend a whole lot, but I guess I'll have to if I want to get "that" sound. I've only been playing for nearly 2 years now. I have much more to experiment, I think I'll try going to some shops and trying out lots of amps. Thanks a lot for the help. Give some more reccomendations of relatively easy to find tube amps, especially those mysterious makers like Splawn and Soldano. I am deeply intrigued. I don't trust sound samples on the net, I am aware an amp sounds very different in person.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)