View Single Post
Old 2005-07-29, 22:10
New Blood

History of music and theory

I sometimes try to imagine what it would be like to live during the times when it was still fascinating to people that you could create sound by plucking a tensioned string. I wonder how long it was before more order was brought to sound by people like Ptolemy (Just Intonation) and Pythagoras (Pythagorean tuning). I think there might have been along period of time where each musician had his own scheme of intonation and concept of what sounds played in sequence or together made up something that was "good".

I also wonder why I prefer to listen to classical rock rather than classical music? I like both, but still prefer Beatles to Bach. Why don't I like 40's style music? I started to like the song "I've got Rhythm" after I read kept hearing about the chord progression known as "Rhythm Changes" and started listening to alot of jazz that was supposed to be using that progression.

I would like to think that there is a perfect system of music that could encapsulate all the different types of "popular" music and explain why its good. But I wonder if its just conditioning. After all people do like punk rock

I appreciate the many theorist who came up with all the scales and terms but in the back of my mind I always think of what John Lennon said "who wants to talk about music? talking about music is like talking about f...ng." He did go on to say "well maybe some people like talking about that " John described one highly credentialed and respected theorist as a "twit" and this guy was giving high praise to the music of the beatles and describing it using music theory terms like "Aeolian cadence"... John said, he had no idea what the guy was talking about.

I like to think I am more like Paul McCartney and have a respect for music theory and ideas of sound.. At the same time I think you can grow up in the house of a theorist, never learn the theory, but still absorb the ideas and produce results that amaze the experts and expand their domain of study.