View Single Post
Old 2005-03-29, 04:25
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bia
Until I can play Angel Of Death perfectly (minus solos) I dont consider myself even barely "good"

That is definitely a great song for developing solid tremolo picking. As a matter of fact, the entire Reign in Blood album is phenomenal for building speed and accuracy on many levels. I typically play half the album as part of my warmup routine. Someday I'll go back to the book and learn the rest of the album to complete my 30 minute warmup. I've long forgotten most of the old school stuff I started out with (Maiden, Priest, AC/DC, Metallica, Dio, Satriani, Scorpions, etc...) because there are so many slow parts that are only fun to play with a full band and because they are largely dated at this point. Slayer's Reign in Blood album is fun to play all the way through without a band because it is relentless and constantly changing and because it has a timeless quality to it.

Outside of Slayer, I find older Megadeth, Malmsteen, and Van Halen to have the best riffs and solos which combine technical difficulty with addictive sound.

If you're looking for solo material that has lots of soul and is not overly difficult, than you can't beat Zeppelin, Hendrix, and Pink Floyd.

For acoustic material Zeppelin is the way to go.