View Single Post
Old 2005-02-26, 13:15
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
BLS, you played the powerball and savage's too? try those cleans or the sovereign, if you like something else.

it's suprising how many top notch boutique amps have great cleans though... the savage and powerball are about the $2,000 range here, 1,850 for the powerball ane like 2,100 ir simething for the savage. and for that kind of money, better have more than just a good lead channel. maybe a cup holder or dvd player or something....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
the Triamp has damn good cleans. I totally agree. but allmost everything HK makes has good cleans. even their ss practise combo's have great cleans (not the shitty ss warp series etc.)
the Triamp is not really for me, not yet. I don't need the versatility of it and I'de rather stick with something more ballsy now. Though who knows in the future. they're pretty cheap here. (like Koch Powertones are! they're dutch!)

i love the triamp because imo, it's the best amp ever... i've never played another amp i liked more. so many amps are just versitile, but without quality, you know? jack of all trades, master of none... the triamp is not one of those amps. it's got three 2 channel preamps, each one is dedicated to a specific range of tones. like switching between a fender, vox, marshall, mesa, orange, ect... all in one amp.

alot of people just can't put it to full use. some people buy it for just good cleans and the realize they could get by with a fender bassman, some buy it for good medium gain british tones and then realize a sovtek mig or marshall jcm can cover their needs, ect.

but i need something that will handle me no matter what i'm doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
a Mesa Recto is like 1600 there? fuck. a powerball is around the same here, mesa rectumfires are all way above 2000 here!
For that kinda money I could get a savage SE or a used soldano slo100.

yeh, i can get a rectumfrier for "cost" though because i have alot of hookups.. a brand new dual recto for $950 out the door. not to shabby considering i see them sell for more than that used.

i think anyone over there would be retarded to pick a mesa recto over and engl.. unless they really must have the recto sound, and they have the money to waste.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
the Engl SE head (not the savage SE) is sick... definetly one of the best amps I've ever played, if not 'the' best. why won't you allow yourself to own one? haha.

because, the triamp is "the best" imo.. and it's also much cheaper.

but it would be fun to a/b them... to bad engl is so rare, i'd never get an se and a triamp in the same room. hell, same city for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
I guess its just a matter of what the amp's worth to you. right now, I don't think the Diezel and VHT stuff is worth their money, from my perspective. the Bogner is out of the question for me, I don't like its tone much. but I can understand why other people would love it. same goes for loads of other amps I don't like and other people adore.

i think most bogner,vht, and deizel stuff, though amazing, not worth the extra dough over alot of the more kick ass botique-ish stuff for alot cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
like people ranting on and on about their tsl100 stack. they look shocked when I tell them I'de rather have an old, busted up jcm800 with a ts9 in front of it at full volume.

the jcm 2000's rock imo... but personally, the jcm 900 sl-x is where it's at. way more gain and much cooler and "tigher" tone. though you lose on versitilty.

cranked jcm 800's just have mojo, amazing tone, just short of that extra kick of gain...