Thread: Medieval sound
View Single Post
Old 2005-02-24, 00:04
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenCrimson
Um, C Mode is called C Major, dick.

Edit: There is no point in learning the names, it's so much easier to say G Mode instead of Mixolydian Mode, isn't it?

Thrashboy and I had a blast discussing why you are wrong, and why you can be somewhat right.
I think you are wrong, sorry. That link doesn't explain much either. What it should have told you, was the fact that modes were in existance for a time before the words "major" and "minor" were brought up. In non-contemporary music, excluding Jazz, modes and major/minor scales are very different from each other. For one thing, C-D-E-F-G-A-B in all natural notes, are the notes of a Major scale not a modal scale. G "mode," is G-A-B-C-D-E-F in all natural notes. G Major is G-A-B-C-D-E-F#. In Medieval times, sharps and flats were only used for modulating and when starting a modal scale not on the scales normal note. For example, A aeolian is A-B-C-D-E-F-G-A, however, C aeolian is C-D-Eflat-F-G-Aflat-Bflat-C. That's what sharps and flats were. Then came major and minor scales. The natural minor scale took the place of the aeolian/dorian such scales, and the major scale took the place of the other "major" sounding scales like mixolydian. Now, like almost always, modal scales are still mostly used for church music and Gregorian plainchants. Major and minor scales helped in a way that allow more freedom with accidental notations such as the introduction of harmonic minor. The only relationship between "C major" and "C mode" is the fact that they are parallel keys.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx