View Single Post
Old 2005-02-23, 20:49
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holland
It's not louder ... but it's totally "clean" ( What's funny is that its a Fender-esque clean --- there's the clean channel everyone complains that is non-existant ). No hiss, no noise, but the volume is invariable, I can't adjust it at all using the gain knobs on both channels. At about a 15- watt practice amp volume.

I don't have any 12ax7 tubes lying around ... I've heard that I should replace the shitty chinese tubes sooner or later, so I suppose now is a good time. I just don't have the money at the moment.

Hmmm boy it's hard to say what's going on with your amp without hearing it myself. The hiss is normal for a 5150. The lead channel especially when you get the pregain up past 4 or 5. When you plugged into the loop return you were bypassing the preamp and going directly into the power amp, that's why it was clean but it should have been fairly loud. If you can find some other tubes I'd try them, preamp and power and see what that does. Maybe take some out of a friends amp just to test your amp? Other than that it might be time to see a tech.
Jerry